99’ Land Cruiser Pulling Right - Cranking noise front left wheel / tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been battling this issue for quite some time and can’t seem to figure out what the issue is.

Was driving down I-70 yesterday and the car suddenly began to pull and jerk right along with a knocking / cranking noise that sounded like it was coming from the front left tire area / axle.

Was going fairly quick (50 mph) and immediately pulled off the road and limped to a gas station.

I have had the mechanic put in $5,000 of work over the last year and it is still not fixed.

Bran new steering rack, lower ball joints, inner : outer tie rods and bran new stabilizer links ans bushings.

The only mod on the front suspension is an old man emu 2.5” lift kit that is only 6-7 years old.

I have no idea what is causing this and any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Mike

Have the wheel bearing torque and ball joints been checked? My 99 had failing ball joints which made it impossible to align and drive straight.

Your descriptions "pull and jerk right along with a knocking / cranking noise" "pulled off the road and limped to a gas station" are unclear. It's hard to say if you're talking about a front end issue. As I could also take your description as and engine or transmission issue.

Who's your Mechanic?

Yeah no worries - The car and steering wheel were erratically pulling / jerking to the right and everytime that happened, a loud popping / clanking noise could be heard right in front of the diver side tire.

I could also feel something like popping in the front right part of the axle.

Got off the highway and it continued to pull right at lower speeds - 10-20 mph.

Yeah no worries - The car and steering wheel were erratically pulling / jerking to the right and everytime that happened, a loud popping / clanking noise could be heard right in front of the diver side tire.

There are several things this could be. Most of which will be exposed by tearing into both sides for a wheel bearing service which *should* include an inspection of the rest of the parts in the immediate vicinity.

The outliers would be found by pulling the spindles to see what the bearing/bushing assembly looks like - these should be liberally coated in grease.

Steering jerking to the right, indicates a right side issue. It may be the snap ring is off., an axle splines of FDS may be catching and releasing hub flange splines. Maybe FDS CV freezing up.

If you like: PM (DM) with email or phone #, and we can talk.

Mechanic is thinking it is a front differential issue but i was curious if that makes sense?

The front diff in the 98 and 99 were a little weaker, but from what I understand it would only fail if someone was really hammering on it.

I also assume this would make noise all the time.

I’d take @2001LC up on his offer for a call. He knows his stuff.

It ended up being the front driver’s side cv axle - Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks for updating this thread for others down the road.

Nice fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom