'99 FJ100 Starting Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I previously had a starting issue with my '99 Cruiser. Replaced original OEM battery (Panasonic ???) with a Diehard Gold battery from Sears. No starting issues for the next three weeks until this morning. Started the vehicle this morning 1st & 2nd turn of the ignition key - all you hear is click. 3rd try, it starts. Turned off the engine and tried starting it again to see if it starts 1st, 2nd & 3rd turn -click again. After the 4th try, it started. Should I be looking at a starter replacement? What is involved in replacing the starter (mechanical expertise)? Starter costs and labor hours if the repair is to be done by a dealer/repair shop? How do you know if you need to replace your starter?

The one thing the writeup doesn't mention is that there are 3 starters available for your truck. Look in under the intake from the right side to see the starter part number label on the starter. Parts might take a few days as not all wharehouses stock both contacts.

The exact same symptoms plagued by 1994 at 75k. It was the starter and was around $400 to replace.

My 99 TLC has 75K plus on the clock. The amount of work required for replacing the starter seem to be overwhelming for me to move forward. Can somebody give an average as to what would it cost to have this starter replaced (material cost + labor)?

[quote author=99TCruiser link=board=2;threadid=10673;start=msg96025#msg96025 date=1075230781]
My 99 TLC has 75K plus on the clock. The amount of work required for replacing the starter seem to be overwhelming for me to move forward. Can somebody give an average as to what would it cost to have this starter replaced (material cost + labor)?
[/quote]

I was quoted a price of $165 to just replace the starter contacts. The key would be to find a reputable shop that won't try and sell you a new starter. It's most likely just your starter contacts! It's really not a hard job to do, I just did it last month (I wrote that long write up) and if you have any questions just let me know.

Chris

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=10673;start=msg95897#msg95897 date=1075206446]
The one thing the writeup doesn't mention is that there are 3 starters available for your truck. Look in under the intake from the right side to see the starter part number label on the starter. Parts might take a few days as not all wharehouses stock both contacts.
[/quote]

I mentioned that to my Toyota dealer, and he didn't know what I was talking about, he said that there was only one set of contacts for my 99. Not sure if he was right or not, but the contacts did work on my car.

Actually I assumed they were the same as my fathers Tundra which the dealer stated they had 3 available starters. Dan would know for sure.

Funny that this thread just popped up. Just hung up the phone with Dan for contacts, next day delivery, for my wifes truck :D.

Of course she didn't mention it the first time it stuck on. It only happened that once and must be ok :slap:. Leaving town Monday so her truck has to be repaired tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom