'99 Can't Disarm Alarm After Dead Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a new-to-me 100 from the Autonation used lot yesterday. It's in great shape and drives like brand new with 210k miles.
I got it pulled into the garage last night and left the stereo on while I gave it the once-over. Turns out the battery wasn't in the best shape and I managed to drain it to the point the truck wouldn't start.
I jumped the battery and got it started once, then the alarm started sounding...
Now I can't disarm it, the truck won't crank, I can't take it out of Park, and the alarm sounds if I open any door or attempt to start it.

I do have the master keys and the immobilizer light does stop flashing when I insert the key.

I believe the alarm is all factory but I'm not 100% sure. The factory keys unlock all doors using buttons or manually and no other fobs were supplied.
Mine has the immobilizer light (little truck with the key) in the center console below the stereo, and as I mentioned it does stop flashing when a key is inserted.
There is also another flashing red light in front of the instrument cluster centered over the steering column. This light is now endlessly flashing 5x, pause, 5x, pause, etc., etc..
Can anyone confirm if they have this same light?
I've also noticed there appear to be two different alarm sounds. One uses the truck's 'horns' and the other (which is the one I'm dealing with...) is a siren kind of like the old viper alarms that cycled through all the different alarm sounds. The siren is mounted under the hood, passenger side, on the fender right at the front of the truck. It appears to be factory, otherwise someone did a really nice job installing it and running the wires. Does anyone else have this siren?
(I'll post pics of both ASAP.)

I've looked under the seats and dash and I can't find anything that looks like an aftermarket alarm 'brain'.

I've tried pretty much everything I could find online that seemed relevant:

• Turn master key on/off 5x. (Tried 6x, too.)
  • Disconnect battery for hour. (3hrs, no difference)
  • Pulled EFI fuse. Replaced EFI fuse.
  • All combinations of the above with key in ignition and out.
  • Replaced key fob batteries.
  • Replaced car battery.
  • Other things I can't recall ATM.

I'm running out of ideas and I only have two days left on the 'no questions asked' return policy. The dealer has offered to repair it but I'm afraid it might take longer than two days and I don't want to be stuck with this thing if it has serious electrical issues.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried manually unlocking the driver side door with the key in the lock cylinder?

Last edited:
Also check every door lock to make sure they are actually working including the tailgate. You could lock every door manually from the inside or using the key in the lock cylinder to make sure all the locks are thrown properly.

If the lock actuators are getting weak maybe the truck doesn't see all switches being set and is why the alarm keeps going off.

Is the cluster light a door open light?

I have tried manually unlocking with the master key against all locks (even the glovebox, dammit! :bang: ) with no luck. The door-open indicator is not on and the red light I mentioned is not the door-open light.

Here are pics of the siren and light:

99LCRLight01_zps3kdu4ymo.jpg

99LCSiren02_zpsomwndyrd.jpg

99LCSiren01_zpswormf6mo.jpg

The ground wires to the right of the siren are not connected to the siren. Is this factory or not?

That red light doesn't look factory. At least, it's not on my 99.

The diagnostic manual has info on resetting the alarm, you could try the steps listed there...but if the aftermarket system is causing the issue I'm afraid it may not be helpful.

Index of /ih8mud/FSM

Not factory.
I know you said that the dealer might take a couple of days to fix it but if it was my truck I'll have them take off all the system out.

A.J

The 514N siren is used a lot in Viper / DEI alarms. The brain box is most likely installed under the dash near the steering column area. You could peek your head under there with a flashlight and try to find it...maybe even remove it?

Directed | blue led flashing 5 times

If you can find out the model of the alarm you can research what it takes to remove it.

It is definitely not factory... I was able to follow the siren wire back under the dash and located this:

99LCAlarm01_zpsyz2hn19x.jpg

The entire system is very well hidden and professionally installed. I truly thought it was factory.

So, on to my next set of questions...

1) How the hell do I reset it?
2) Should there be a separate set of fobs or do some aftermarket alarms work with factory fobs?
3) What would happen if I just disconnected it?

Google up Python Car Alarm. There is plenty of others experiencing the same thing. There should have been a set of key fobs that came with the kit. If you can find a wiring diagram online you should be able to figure out how to disconnect. I wouldn't just start cutting wires without figuring out how it is actually connected to ignition, door locks, etc.

Looks like we're dealing with a Python 881xp. Here are some of the features:

• The Ultimate 2-Way Security and Remote Start Kit
  • Super-bright Status LED
  • High-Output Mini Neo Siren
  • Silent mode
  • Dedicated one-button start
  • Turbo timer
  • Safety shut down
  • Timer mode
  • Complete Engine Monitoring
  • Anti-Grind
  • Engine Checking
  • Extreme Capacity Relay Satellite
  • Tach/Voltage Checking
  • Directed Video Compatible

How difficult are these to remove and take back to factory?

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I was able to remove the alarm and so far everything appears to be fully functional.

That is the plan. Introductions and pics soon.

Great news that it was an easy removal. Post pics of your new truck too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom