1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'99 Air Bag

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by toyotaman, Jan 28, 2004.

1. toyotaman

toyotaman

I noticed that when the sun hits my temp. and clock panel that icons for the air bag show up from the lighting and make them visible. Yet, unlike many vehicles that have a very visible on/off switch for the passenger side airbag on the dash through usage of the key, I've not found one on my recently purchased Cruiser.

Am I missing it or is there not one there?

2. Darwood

Darwood

I'm pretty sure that the only vehicles in the US that have passenger air bag switches are the ones where you can't fit a child in the back safely, i.e. pickup.

3. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a 99 and have never seen anything used to disable the airbag. Have you checked your manual?

-Matt

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    There is no factory installed passenger side airbag shut off switch in the 80 or 100 series Cruisers.

Qualifying persons can petition the NHTSA for permission to obtain shut off switches. They are available as passenger only, driver only, or both sides. The permission granted depends on individual owner's needs. You do not get to "pick" what you want. Single shut off switches run about 170 bucks and a double is about 300 bucks. It must be installed by a participating dealer or installer.

If you are interested to see if you qualify check this out:

www.nhtsa.dot.gov

D-

5. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    [quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10728;start=msg96564#msg96564 date=1075338490]
    There is no factory installed passenger side airbag shut off switch in the 80 or 100 series Cruisers.

Qualifying persons can petition the NHTSA for permission to obtain shut off switches. They are available as passenger only, driver only, or both sides. The permission granted depends on individual owner's needs. You do not get to "pick" what you want. Single shut off switches run about 170 bucks and a double is about 300 bucks. It must be installed by a participating dealer or installer.

If you are interested to see if you qualify check this out:

www.nhtsa.dot.gov

D-
    [/quote]

To have a shop install the switch for you, you must have the approval of the NHTSA mafia. You can disable your airbag if you wish, without any government approval. There are lots of places that sells switches to individuals along with the instructions on how to install it.

You can always fab you own switch. The only difficult part is to match the resistance of the airbag to the switch so that the airbag computer doesn't think that the airbag is malfuntioning.

NEVER USE A METER TO MEASURE THE RESISTANCE OF AN AIRBAG. THE CURRENT FROM THE METER COULD TRIGGER THE FIRING MECHANISM OF THE AIRBAG!!!

Use a POT in place of the airbag to tune the system until the airbag computer thinks there is a funtioning airbag (airbag light is off). Most airbags are in the 2.5-5 Ohms range. Measure the POT and put in a resister with the same resistance in place oif the airbag. Make sure the resister is rated for least 5 watts.

You can leave the resistor in place to permanently disable the passenger side airbag or fab a switch with the proper resistance to turn the airbag on and off.

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    According to NHTSA an airbag can be legaly disconnected only if there is no OEM switch available and only after granting a "deactivation waiver".

7. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    Read the NHTSA's website _carefully_. It states that to have a switch installe by a _dealer/mechanic_, you MUST have a waiver form. It does not say anything about disconnecting the airbag by the owner.

Many of the airbag switch websites share the same interpretation of the rulings that an owner can legally (and ethically) disconnect their own airbag, even though the NHTSA Nazi wants you to think that only they have the power to authorized deactivation of the airbag.

Last time I checked the US constitution, unless a law/ruling has been passed specifically to prohibit it, it is legal to do. One can still mod their own vehicle anyway they wish, provided that it does not endanger the public.

John

8. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

hmmm.... short of the baby seat and kid and wild off-road issues, I sure would not disconnect the airbag in a car I drive...

btw, didja know that the 03 has a disconnect switch for the curtain airbags so you can go on steep inclines without the comp thinking you are rolling over and deplyoing the baggies? :D

E

9. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    Yep. The other car is a 2 seater and I have a 9 month old.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">