99 Aftermarket Stereo Power Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am new to the group and know this may be a repeat of past conversations. I searched and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I recently replaced an older Pioneer HU with a new double-din unit. Upon completing the install, the radio buzzes for a second when the vehicle is turned on, but stops immediately when the radio completes power up. I assumed I had a ground issue and while examining the connections, heard loud static and now the radio will not power up.

I tested the radio to make sure it still works, and it does. I replaced all applicable fuses and still am not getting power. I checked the 12V constant (yellow) at the vehicle harness and it is now only getting about 8 volts. I know the power comes from the amplifier so I am wondering if the amplifier is in "protection" mode. I still get a constant buzz now since the radio won't power up so the ground issue is still there.

Any thoughts?

If you still have the factory amp then that is normally what causes the static. Old systems had a floating ground issue that was tied into the stock headunit from my understanding. At this point you are better off bypassing the factory amp if at all possible to start fresh.
Check out TLCFAQs website as there is LOTS of information there about the 98-03 stereos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom