'99 4Runner Starter / Starter Switch Problem??

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by SteveLCetc, Jun 15, 2005.

1. SteveLCetc

SteveLCetc

My son's '99 4Runner had a strange problem. One day he got home and when he turned it off the starter kept running. Turn it on, the car starts. Turn it off, the car dies but the starter runs. Did that several times. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop, now the starter doesn't work at all when the battery's reconnected. Has anyone heard of this problem?

2. corbs

corbs

I had a similar problem with my 96 4Runner. Not exactly the same but similar. I believe if you give the started a couple thumps with a hammer or something it'll start again. Basically you'll need a new starter. I don't know why this happens but I've heard of others with 3rd Generation 4Runners having the same/similar problems.

Mine wasn't always starting, then what happened your son's happened to mine, execpt I couldn't get it the battery disconnected quick enough and the starter went up in smoke.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.