'99 3rd row seating install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to install the third row seats in my recently purchased '99 Cruiser this afternoon. They were just sitting in the back of the truck at purchase.

I can't for the life of me get the front latch into the hole in the floor so I can bring the rear latch down and lock the seat in place. Is there a special method or trick for installing these suckers?

I can handle multiple banana fix-it jobs so I can't believe I'm having trouble with the simple reinstallation of these seats.

Can anyone give me some help?

You need to open the latch 90 degree and then slide the front of the rail into the receiving socket in the floor. Then line up the rear hole, drop the rear latch and lock it in place.

I am reviving this thread!
I am trying so (insert a string of words you choose) hard to install my third row seats into my 99 land cruiser 100. I pulled them out this morning for hauling dog kennels. I don't need them in now....but I am stubborn and want to be able to get them IN and out easily. I am reading the response, open the latch 90 degrees, and don't understand what latch I guess?. I have been reading and just can't find any information. Thanks for any tips! I am also interested in a mod to help make this easy, so I or my wife can do it without getting a hernia. Thanks for your help.

By default the seat sits too far forward on the base to be latched in. If you pull the lever in the back of the seat you should be able to slide the upper portion of the seat backwards. Then you will have the room to slide it into the holes.

No need for a mod, it's fairly easy once you slide the seat back.

THANKS. I DID THE SLIDING THING USING THE LEVER AND THAT WORKED. So the seat basically rubs the fender well too much. So that is why I couldn't get it latched was the seat was hitting the fender well.

So sliding the seat back on the rails worked perfectly, like it is designed. Chalk another win up for how awesome the land cruiser is!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but my father-in-law and I spent about 30 minutes fighting with the third row seats, trying to get them back in. We kept looking through the manual, which was no help. Finally I did a search on here and came across this thread.

THANK YOU!

Anyone have a video of this for the uninitiated?

Anyone have a video of this for the uninitiated?

Basically, with the seat folded and perpendicular to the ground, (standing on the rail) unlock the back latch (black lever under a little flip up cover,) hook in the front latch inside the truck, then lower the back one in. Finally lock the rear latch with the black lever. It should be as simple as that.

If for some reason it’s not going in, your seats are rolled forward. You will need to roll the seats all the way back. With the seats folded and perpendicular to the ground, twist the hand lever in the back and slide the seat all the way back on the rail. You can do it with the seats just resting on the ground (the rails are part of the seat). Also note: if your seats are rolled forward, it will be very hard to stow them as the wheel well is in the way. Rolling them all the way back gets them to clear the wheel well.

Man, that’s difficult to explain. A video would definitely help.

Last edited:
Quick and dirty vid I just took:

To stow upright, twist the handle, lift seat up, slide back, and use the strap that might be stored under the seat to hook it to the overhead grab handle. If the handle doesn't automatically go back down, push it down. Otherwise your seat will violently slide forward and backward when you stop and start moving.

If the seat is attached to the floor and won't unlatch when you twist the handle upward, there's a cable that has stretched or came unattached. On one seat I have to grab the cable with pliers and pull to unlatch it.

Last edited:

To stow upright, twist the handle, lift seat up, slide back, and use the strap that might be stored under the seat to hook it to the overhead grab handle. If the handle doesn't automatically go back down, push it down. Otherwise your seat will violently slide forward and backward when you stop and start moving.

If the seat is attached to the floor and won't unlatch when you twist the handle upward, there's a cable that has stretched or came unattached. On one seat I have to grab the cable with pliers and pull to unlatch it.

Thank you!!!

I have the same problem with the seat back not releasing when I pull the handle. Where can I find this stuck cable?

I have the same problem with the seat back not releasing when I pull the handle. Where can I find this stuck cable?
If you mean that it's stuck to the floor, and rotating the handle upward doesn't release the floor latch:
Rotating the handle upward pulls a cable toward you (toward the rear of the vehicle). The cable stop at the end of the cable is a metal ball. This picture shows the cable stop on the left seat (with the seat up, but the location should be the same with the seat down). Grab that with some needle nose pliers (or whatever works) and pull to the rear.
IMG_20200509_194050.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom