98’ lx470 transmission options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Just curious if anyone has had catastrophic failure with one of these transmissions? There is only one available in Canada and it has 340,000km. A rebuild seems unlikely. Would an early tundra unit work? Manual swap although cool seem a bit far fetched.

You can search "transmission failure", limit to titles only, 100 section only. You'll find that most threads deal with MY 2000 trucks, variety of theories as to why that year. Tundra transmission won't work. Is this related to your "won't reverse" thread? Maybe update it if there's new info?

I spoke with a local guy who rebuilds transmissions. He said parts availability would be a thing. Also he said he wouldn’t touch it.

I spoke with a local guy who rebuilds transmissions. He said parts availability would be a thing. Also he said he wouldn’t touch it.

Parts won't be a problem. He just doesn't want to do it. If you can't find anyone locally that wants to do it you'll have to get a rebuilt unit shipped in. Surely there's someone who will install it.

I've not done this. But I would think any A343F (343) should work. But if not a 100 series, a number of parts need swapping. I sold a 2008 4 runner transmission, to a guy (it's written up in mud) for his 03LC. He swap out a lot parts from his transmission and got it to work. Transmission main body and wiring housing connection, need be the same. So do your homework. You may find a suitable replacement from some other models of Toyota or Lexus around the same year.

Looks like the 97lx450 is the same transmission. Have found a couple of low mile units that are very reasonable. Can anyone confirm this is a direct mechanical swap with some electrical fiddling?

The only transmission that will bolt in with no modifications is the 1998-2002 A343F. The Tundra transmission will not work. The 80 series have smaller clutches in them, plus you need a new valve body. You may be able to make it work, but IMHO, it's not worth the trouble.

I have an overhaul kit on my shelf, waiting to go in as soon as I complete the headgasket R&R on my 80. You can get them in days from Toyota or Lexus. Cheaper aftermarket sets are available from Australia.

I looked for almost a year for a used unit. I found exactly one, and the shipping would have been equal to a new unit, if one was available (none were). I decided to quit waiting and do the job myself. These are very simple transmissions to rebuild; find another mechanic.

@Malleus did you rebuild your transmission on your own or take it to a shop to have it done?

When a seller tells you they have a low miles unit ask them to prove it. If they can't and ask you to trust them assume it's a high miles unit.

@Malleus did you rebuild your transmission on your own or take it to a shop to have it done?
I'm planning to do it myself, as soon as I get the head back on my 80, which is planned for this week. Cleaning everything is taking forever.

The unit repair manual for the 80 series A343F is in the resources section. Take a look at it and you'll have a really good idea what's involved (less cleaning, which, sadly, isn't a documented step in the repair procedure). The 1998-2002 100 series A343F is the same, except for dimensional stack heights. I have a paper copy of that one, if you're interested in the numbers.

Here's what's involved (for the visual learners): Part one, Part two (again this is an 80 series A343F, but the procedure is the same - for him anyway, he never measures anything).

Last edited:
This is great info. Thanks so much. I would definitely be interested in the numbers. It’s either going to be a manual swap or rebuild at this point. I have sourced a lower mile unit from @3_puppies which is also an option just waiting on a shipping quote from the local guys.. so options are there. Just need some numbers to decide.

The only transmission that will bolt in with no modifications is the 1998-2002 A343F. The Tundra transmission will not work. The 80 series have smaller clutches in them, plus you need a new valve body. You may be able to make it work, but IMHO, it's not worth the trouble.

I have an overhaul kit on my shelf, waiting to go in as soon as I complete the headgasket R&R on my 80. You can get them in days from Toyota or Lexus. Cheaper aftermarket sets are available from Australia.

I looked for almost a year for a used unit. I found exactly one, and the shipping would have been equal to a new unit, if one was available (none were). I decided to quit waiting and do the job myself. These are very simple transmissions to rebuild; find another mechanic.
Was the 80's series the only one with the A343? If no:t Did you ever put a list together of all Toyota/Lexus with A343F in them (4 wh dr or not)?

With the A750F, we found quit a few models with 4.7L had them. But only the 100 series A750F is a drop in.

Was the 80's series the only one with the A343? If no:t Did you ever put a list together of all Toyota/Lexus with A343F in them (4 wh dr or not)?

With the A750F, we found quit a few models with 4.7L had them. But only the 100 series A750F is a drop in.
The "F" suffix is 4 wheel drive (has the transfer case mounting option). According to Wikipedia (the ultimate font of all useless knowledge):
1647229344482.png

However, what Wikipedia doesn't say is that the versions are not the same, only that the basic transmission models are the same in these vehicles. For instance, the valve bodies and clutches are not the same in the 80 and 100 series A343F units. I think you could use an 80 series unit to make a 100 series unit (or vice versa), by swapping out the pieces you needed (or didn't need, based on your POV), but I haven't compared the two repair manuals closely enough to say for sure. It's on my list to do, once I get into the rebuild on my 2000 LX470.

I have a 1995 80 that will need this work before too much longer, so I need to know for sure. My gut tells me they won't be interchangeable, just based on the different torque characteristics between the inline and V8 engines (I haven't verified this, because I don't have two open in front of me, but I would not be surprised that this is the reason for the different clutches). They may "work" but not be ideal. Swapping torque converters should be much easier between models, but I haven't got that data completed yet, so I don't want to say for sure.

I intend to post repairs for both trucks, along with measurements and observations about compatibility. More to follow.

It’s too bad they won’t work. Have found an almost brand new unit out of a lx450. Very reasonable price too. Going to look at all options right now which include rebuilding this one or another used unit even a manual swap. I’m a bit Leary on rebuilding this one, need a closer look. There’s so metal in there. That’s the reason the shop declined a rebuild. Not pressed for time on this so I’d like to get it right or at least try..

For sure a 98-02 is a direct drop in, which is easy. It's just a matter of time, to find a drop-in.

Importing a used or remain form USA, is likely fastest & cheapest. Short of having yours rebuilt.

The 450LX you can get, would likely work. But it's not ideal nor a drop in. Study the manuals of each and parts diagrams, would be first step.

Other option available for those with the will, that wrench or have a fat wallet. Would be a manual transmission. Done right, would add value for sure. Like a locally guy I just sold an 06LC to. He's converting it to a 5 spd manual. I hope he writes it up in mud. Should be a very sweet ride when he's done with it.

Here's where Keaton swapped in a 08 4Runner into a 03LC. He had to go deeper than just swapping the transmission adapter, but got it done.

I see for manual conversions there are a few options. H55, R150,151 etc.

Basic searching yields a couple options right away.

Just because a 2000-02 will fit doesn't mean you want one. There were enough internal changes in 2000 to warrant a different rebuild kit. The pre-2000 is considerably more robust.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom