‘98 LX 470 gas cap concern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased my first LX 470. I went to refill on gas and as I unscrewed the gas cap, I heard pressure releasing. What is the cause of this? What do I need to look into? This is a stock LX/no mods. It has 252k miles on it. Any advice is appreciated

That is relatively common, particularly if the tank was toward empty. Unless it is really bad, I wouldn't worry about it. I've owned ~15 90s-2000s toyotas, and they've all done it to some extent.

Also, Welcome! We always love pics if you care to post some.

Cheers!

I just purchased my first LX 470. I went to refill on gas and as I unscrewed the gas cap, I heard pressure releasing. What is the cause of this? What do I need to look into? This is a stock LX/no mods. It has 252k miles on it. Any advice is appreciated
Evap (evaporative emissions) system hadn't purged or vented yet. Pretty common on hot days as some of the fuel (liquid) evaporates into a gas and builds up pressure in your fuel tank. Leave a new style plastic gas can with the new Cali evap s*** on it, it will swell the gas can like a balloon.

The evaporative emissions system is designed to purge (burn off in the engine) or vent it to atmosphere via the charcoal canister (so you don't smell it as much). So pretty much means your system is sealing properly. Now with an EVAP code and pressure in the system, generally means one of the solenoids (vent/purge) isn't opening properly or the canister is clogged.

How much of a hiss do you hear? A little bit can be considered normal.

Hot summer days, running it hard, climbing in some elevation, and that hiss may be much worse. Seems like a lot of our rigs are plagued with that same issue.

How much of a hiss do you hear? A little bit can be considered normal.

Hot summer days, running it hard, climbing in some elevation, and that hiss may be much worse. Seems like a lot of our rigs are plagued with that same issue.
I guess some would consider this "a normal hiss amount". Similar to opening a new soda bottle. I've never experienced this with a vehicle so I was extremely concerned something was wrong and it was not safe to operate. And it was actually a cooler day. The outside temperature was in the low 60s and I drove it from Greenville SC to Georgia. So I wasn't driving through high elevation. Fuel level was low so maybe that played a factor.

That is relatively common, particularly if the tank was toward empty. Unless it is really bad, I wouldn't worry about it. I've owned ~15 90s-2000s toyotas, and they've all done it to some extent.

Chee

Cheers!
Thanks man! I’m stoked. Ready to start this build.

C172C8C4-050A-4667-81A9-A3A4D892C3A4.jpeg

2FB1C6B1-ECFA-4923-BB56-090256EED487.jpeg

Looks clean. Very nice! I have a 98’. My gas cap has hissed at me since 189k. Just hit 340k. No issues. No check engine lights.

Keep rolling, she will let you know when there’s a issue. $$$ 🤪

I’m thinking you didn’t hear air escaping, you heard air rushing in to fill the low pressure created by an empty tank.

Any recommendations on where to take this in the Atlanta area for a maintenance inspection? Recent work completed before purchase was TB, WP, Starter, New Heater Rd, and New Radiator. No lights are on. Just want to keep her going for another 252K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom