98-02 steering racks, are they all interchangeable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So there’s a lot of play in the steering wheel of my newly-acquired ‘02 LX470, to the point that it causes the VSC to kick in at curved roads. With the car lifted, there is a lot of play when wiggling the wheel in the 3 and 9 o’clock positions. I already bought new inner and outer tie rods (555) but I am also starting to prepare for the possibility of the wear being inside the rack instead of the tie rod ends. I’m also losing power steering fluid although I haven’t seen any leaks so I don’t know where it’s going.

When I checked online, it says the correct rack based on my VIN is 44250-60070, and the 01/98 to 03/99 builds use the 44250-60050 which is the same one fitted to the US 98-2002 models. I also checked using the VIN of my brother’s HDJ100, it gives another part number for the rack: 44250-60060. So my question is, are these racks interchangeable and does anybody know the difference between these racks? A new rack costs about $2k here so I was thinking of buying one in the US since it’s only about $500-600. Problem is, only the 60050 rack is available over there. Can anybody confirm that the racks are interchangeable?

BFCE351A-B09F-4A5A-B15A-BB40B289F3B4.jpeg
73C89152-B2B3-422E-8EA6-091FF96C6EB5.jpeg

Can’t answer your question directly, sorry on that point. However check the u joint on the steering shaft as the 3 and 9 sounds like a one of the axis might be loose. It’s easy to get to thru the drivers inner fender.

I just replaced my 99 rack with new Toyota and a new steering shaft.

Can’t answer your question directly, sorry on that point. However check the u joint on the steering shaft as the 3 and 9 sounds like a one of the axis might be loose. It’s easy to get to thru the drivers inner fender.

I just replaced my 99 rack with new Toyota and a new steering shaft.

Thanks for the input! Today I had the inner and outer tie rods replaced. They were definitely worn out, especially the rack ends where there was significant play side to side. The steering is much better now, but I can still feel some play. Need to figure out of it’s from the column side of the shaft or the joint in the engine bay.

The other bad news is that my rack is leaking. Lots of fluid came out when both boots were removed. So a new steering rack is definitely in my future.

Thanks for the input! Today I had the inner and outer tie rods replaced. They were definitely worn out, especially the rack ends where there was significant play side to side. The steering is much better now, but I can still feel some play. Need to figure out of it’s from the column side of the shaft or the joint in the engine bay.

The other bad news is that my rack is leaking. Lots of fluid came out when both boots were removed. So a new steering rack is definitely in my future.
Check engine bay steering shaft 1st, easy to get to and more likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom