97 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Guys, I need your guys' help as my dad's 97 won't start. I am pretty sure it is something simple, but I haven't found it. For some reason, the cruiser won't start untill I pass current from another vehicle. My battery charger won't start it, it's just jumping it from another vehicle. Both of the batteries are dead-no charge. So we figured the alternater was bad, we replaced the brushes and still no go. As I turn the key to the on position, it does not even make a sound. I put on the battery charger, and all you here is the starter working. Lastly, I jump it with jumper cables, and the cruiser strarts right up as mentioned before. Any input, fuses I should check?

Sounds like you are ruling out the battery, why? I would measure the ground point on the battery to the frame with an ohm meter to make sure you have a good ground.

In the FAQ for 80/LX450 link on the main page, go to the maintenance section and open up the emergency start thread. There are items to check there as well, but sounds like a bad battery or poor ground to me

Check your battery and terminals. Make sure the terminals are tight and free of corrosion.

Sounds like a bad battery or bad ground. Once it starts will it run on it's own? What is the voltage when it's running? You say both batteries are dead, is there a isolator?

Sounds like you are ruling out the battery, why? I would measure the ground point on the battery to the frame with an ohm meter to make sure you have a good ground.

In the FAQ for 80/LX450 link on the main page, go to the maintenance section and open up the emergency start thread. There are items to check there as well, but sounds like a bad battery or poor ground to me

Could be. But both batteries going bad simotaniously? It does sound like a bad ground, I will search, but where should I start looking?

Check your battery and terminals. Make sure the terminals are tight and free of corrosion.

Already checked....Everything checks out fine..

Sounds like a bad battery or bad ground. Once it starts will it run on it's own? What is the voltage when it's running? You say both batteries are dead, is there a isolator?

Paul once it starts, it will run on its own, but once you turn it off and try to start again, no workie. Btw, there is a Marine isolator.

What is the voltage when it's running? If it's around 14V alternator should be ok. If it's around 12V could be a bad regulator. Try disconnecting the second battery, maybe the isolator is bad. What kind of batteries? maybe a plate shorted out.

Good luck.
Paul

What is the voltage when it's running? If it's around 14V alternator should be ok. If it's around 12V could be a bad regulator. Try disconnecting the second battery, maybe the isolator is bad. What kind of batteries? maybe a plate shorted out.

Good luck.
Paul

Will do. They are red and yellow top optimas. I am going out there and check a couple things you all suggested, let you guys know what I find...Will check Voltage too.

Guys, I need your guys' help as my dad's 97 won't start. I am pretty sure it is something simple, but I haven't found it. For some reason, the cruiser won't start untill I pass current from another vehicle. My battery charger won't start it, it's just jumping it from another vehicle. Both of the batteries are dead-no charge. So we figured the alternater was bad, we replaced the brushes and still no go. As I turn the key to the on position, it does not even make a sound. I put on the battery charger, and all you here is the starter working. Lastly, I jump it with jumper cables, and the cruiser strarts right up as mentioned before. Any input, fuses I should check?

You say both batteries are "dead-no charge" - have you fully charged both batteries? Do they hold a charge?

Battery charger won't start a vehicle unless it's capable of a couple of hundred amp output.

As stated above, measure battery voltage with no load, measure with load. Simple load test is to turn on the headlights.

Seems like a simple battery/voltage issue here.

I'd say it's reasonably common for the 2nd battery to slowly fade/die and you'll never normally notice since the 2nd battery would only be used rarely (depending on how it's wired to accessory loads - fridge etc etc). Then, when the main battery finally dies you have 2 dead batteries.... So, I wouldn't be surprised to hear both batteries are dead. How old are the batteries?

What kind of marine isolator - just a 3way/4 way switch or some solenoid scheme? You need to provide more info on how the batteries and isolator are connected.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom