97 Slider Window Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a newbie and have our cruiser for about 18 months and I've been searching for the inside scoop on fixing the Slider window problem which I only just discovered - doh! Looks like I need to purchase the seals from a dealer so that seems ok. Virtually all of the jack parts are toast due to rust. I've already replaced the 4 piece extension set and the jack itself was ceased on account of rust; though I was able to break it free and it seems to work ok. So two questions: (1) For the slider window problem, is a new seal enough or should I plan on buying some kind of sealant? (2) Should I purchase a new OEM jack or get a more specialized heavy duty jack, or rely on the rusty original that seems to work?

slider leak

It is my opinion that the seal is not the issue. At least not the total issue.

The slider consists of multiple parts, glass, divider, frame, run channel and outer gasket. What I have found to occur is the frame corrodes, not rust but some other form of corrosion similar to salt water on aluminum. This causes it to swell, this pushes on the run channel and the gasket. This causes the small opening in the run channel to no longer drain correctly and this is where the water comes from.

If your window does not slide freely look at the area under the gasket and you will probably see it is no longer smooth, peel it back and you will see the problem.

I ordered all the parts but the glass. A glass shop did the work in about 20 minutes and did not charge me. I do have an advantage that I run 4 body shops:)

Good Luck

I have a high lift on the back of mine. Pulling the truck up from the recovery points on the bumpers high enough to clear the tire to change it makes me nervous. I've been thinking of getting a bottle jack to use under the axle when the surface allows.

denvervig said:
Any thoughts on the jack?

A new Toyota jack is fairly expensive. You may be able to find one in a boneyard but they pull them immediately and sell them quickly. Seems lotsa people snatch the tyre tools when they trade, leaving the new owner to fend for themselves.

I would clean up the old one and use it. If that doesn't work for you then check out the Omega brand. They have some hefty bottle jacks with a tall lift that will be easier to use if you're running 35's.

My favorite is the Omega 12-ton pneumatic. It will work manually (pump the handle) or with compressed air. Larger than the OEM bottle jack but I think it will still fit in the compartment.

bigsf18122.jpg

~$170

They also sell an "Auto-Return" version of the above jack but I'm not sure what the auto-return feature does for you. It adds ~$100 to the price though.

-B-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom