97 Rear brakes dead too soon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2JG

Threads
Went to have an inspection yesterday and was told my 97s rear brakes need to be replaced to pass. Toyota noted at my last oil change (2 weeks ago) the rear brakes needed replacing, but I assumed they were not that bad since no one discussed changing them that day. New pads and rotors were put on rear in 2020...less than 20K miles ago. I'm not heavy on the brakes and no additional weight (stock)...is this normal? I'm worried maybe calipers or something else may be the issue. Front brakes seem fine.

20k on a set of pads is pretty good, at least on my trucks! I'd highly recommend using Toyota pads; I've has no luck with aftermarket rear pads fitting in the calipers.

FWIW, I'd call the dealership and ask how much pad was left. Minimum thickness is 1-mm, or until the score mark disappears. I don't know what the NYDOT specifies.

Reactions: 2JG
My rear calipers hang up all the time. I get 50K+ on the RR and I've replaced the LR caliper 3x and still wear out one pad in 10K.

So, yeah you probably need your LSPV adjusted and have the rear calipers checked.

My rear calipers hang up all the time. I get 50K+ on the RR and I've replaced the LR caliper 3x and still wear out one pad in 10K.

So, yeah you probably need your LSPV adjusted and have the rear calipers checked
I think the calipers are original...no history of the calipers being replaced. LSPV...thanks...didn't think about that..

FWIW, my OEM calipers work fine, as long as the pads fit in them, which no aftermarket pads I've tried do. And I've tried all the reasonably priced ones. They have hung up with crap pads in them.

I can't see paying extra for rear pads, when the OEM pads work fine.

FWIW, my OEM calipers work fine, as long as the pads fit in them, which no aftermarket pads I've tried do. And I've tried all the reasonably priced ones. They have hung up with crap pads in them.

I guess this next time, I'm installing OEM calipers, rotors, pads, and LSPV. I'm so tired of jacking with it.

Went to have an inspection yesterday and was told my 97s rear brakes need to be replaced to pass. Toyota noted at my last oil change (2 weeks ago) the rear brakes needed replacing, but I assumed they were not that bad since no one discussed changing them that day. New pads and rotors were put on rear in 2020...less than 20K miles ago. I'm not heavy on the brakes and no additional weight (stock)...is this normal? I'm worried maybe calipers or something else may be the issue. Front brakes seem fine.
T'was great talking to you today. When u drop in for the axle rebuild, will take a look at yer rear brakes too, even if you have them done till then. The lspv is very easy to adjust, so we can check and see if that may be the cause of your premature wear. My hundy also eats rear pads fairly quick, but there's no lspv in that. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom