97 lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello MUD members.
I found this 97 lx450. 250K mile, no front or rear locker. (Southern Ca.) It sat outside in the open elements for about 4 years, Currently not running, was told it ran prior. All the exterior seals, molding dry rotted. And the interior also in very bad shapes. The replacement parts still available? The owner is asking for $3500.
What would be the fair offers for this. ?

Appreciated.

K

Let’s see, it won’t start and drive to your house, the exterior is jacked, the interior is jacked. You can assume the rest of it has been neglected as well. Needs tires, battery, everything. I’d say offer him $1,000. Oh, I forgot, it’s a Lexus. Offer $900. Welcome to Mud.....

Edit: I was serious about the lexus offer. More stuff to repair is not my idea of good.

Last edited:
You can find replacement seals/parts, and interior parts as well (say via junkyards). It may be a question as to how much time, effort and money you want to put into fixing it and discovering what else needs to be done. If there's no rust and the paint is decent, it may be worth reviving.

Costs could quickly add up relative to a running vehicle you can buy today, but the flip side is maybe you can get this one to that place cheaper - that's the gamble. If it's been parked for 4 years because it blew a head gasket or the engine was knocking, you may regret the purchase. Inspect what you can and use your best judgment.

Also, given it's condition, the registration likely isn't active and you're getting it as non-op / PNO in the transaction. So keep in mind you cant drive it or park it on public roads in CA, and you'll ultimately be responsible for smog when you go to register it (there's no requirement / recourse to the seller). [I'm not an expert on the laws, but that's my general understanding]

The 97 LX and Landcruisers are basically identical, other than you might see landcruisers with slighly fewer options.
The differences I'm aware of:
Stereo has a subwoofer in the console
leather is softer on the LX
Springs on the LX are softer
couple of Logos are different

But most landcruisers and LXs of the era are optioned about the same. (very few poverty spec landcruisers)

Got pics?...impossible to give advice without em..;)

To get the LX running, baseline the vehicle, replace the exterior and interior damage you’re likely looking at $4000 to $5000. Could easily run higher. This is assuming the head gasket is good. Add that to the purchase price and you’re spending as much as a truck in good working order. This doesn’t account for the time you’ll spend finding and installing parts.

The issues mentioned regarding California registration are significant. Also the smog.

$3500 is expensive. For a $1000 you’re buying a project that will take a lot of your time and money. I suggest saving your money and find a truck with less issues and unknowns.

Last edited:
$500 if you can't drive it home.

Seek out a unit that has no leather and with manual, cloth seats. If you can find one that also has no sunroof you just saved enough money in future refurbishments and repairs to buy a lot of baseline maintenance parts and consumables. And if, on top of the previously mentioned attributes, it has 045 paint, please let me know where it is...... 045=no clear coat to peel.

I purchase my 96 lx 450 with 203,000 with some body damage and a nice interior for 3200.IF its messed up inside i would say 1000. to 1500

Bought my 97' LX with a rod knock (still driving) and a trashed interior and no rust for $500. Sounds like this one is on worse shape. Pics in link in sig.

Wouldn't have touched the transaction if I hadn't been planning a full rebuild and a V8 swap.

Thanks Guys
The owner firmed @ 2K. yes the whole interior trashed 1/10, and exterior about 5/10. I counter offered 1K, he will let me know .

Bought my 97' LX with a rod knock (still driving) and a trashed interior and no rust for $500. Sounds like this one is on worse shape. Pics in link in sig.

Wouldn't have touched the transaction if I hadn't been planning a full rebuild and a V8 swap.
The exterior still looking ok on your lx. The one I looked @ sad conditions.

I purchase my 96 lx 450 with 203,000 with some body damage and a nice interior for 3200.IF its messed up inside i would say 1000. to 1500
Thanks. I offered 1000. He will let me know soon.

Seek out a unit that has no leather and with manual, cloth seats. If you can find one that also has no sunroof you just saved enough money in future refurbishments and repairs to buy a lot of baseline maintenance parts and consumables. And if, on top of the previously mentioned attributes, it has 045 paint, please let me know where it is...... 045=no clear coat to peel.
This one got sunroof not working and driver seat and rear power windows not working also. I really wants to save this Lx but the owner wanted a little much for it.

You can find replacement seals/parts, and interior parts as well (say via junkyards). It may be a question as to how much time, effort and money you want to put into fixing it and discovering what else needs to be done. If there's no rust and the paint is decent, it may be worth reviving.

Costs could quickly add up relative to a running vehicle you can buy today, but the flip side is maybe you can get this one to that place cheaper - that's the gamble. If it's been parked for 4 years because it blew a head gasket or the engine was knocking, you may regret the purchase. Inspect what you can and use your best judgment.

Also, given it's condition, the registration likely isn't active and you're getting it as non-op / PNO in the transaction. So keep in mind you cant drive it or park it on public roads in CA, and you'll ultimately be responsible for smog when you go to register it (there's no requirement / recourse to the seller). [I'm not an expert on the laws, but that's my general understanding]
This one required full restoration. Thanks for all the info

Let’s see, it won’t start and drive to your house, the exterior is jacked, the interior is jacked. You can assume the rest of it has been neglected as well. Needs tires, battery, everything. I’d say offer him $1,000. Oh, I forgot, it’s a Lexus. Offer $900. Welcome to Mud.....

Edit: I was serious about the lexus offer. More stuff to repair is not my idea of good.
I offered 1,000 he will let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom