97’ lx450 Whiney new front gears/locker.... Normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hkfan7

SILVER Star
Threads
Just had new lockers and gears installed, 488 gears and a E-locker up front. Back is a full time locker and gears, and the bent axle housing was replaced. I’m presently going thru the break in period and noticed a winding down noise when coming to a stop up front. I wonder if the 7 pin mod has anything to do with it, or is it normal to sound like that at the break in period. “ I’m asking if anyone has experienced the same noise when new gearing and lockers are installed up front”?... thanks in advance for any opinions given... this is my second vehicle I’ve had this done to, and do not remember my last truck having that noise at break in.

Just had new lockers and gears installed, 488 gears and a E-locker up front. Back is a full time locker and gears, and the bent axle housing was replaced. I’m presently going thru the break in period and noticed a winding down noise when coming to a stop up front. I wonder if the 7 pin mod has anything to do with it, or is it normal to sound like that at the break in period. “ I’m asking if anyone has experienced the same noise when new gearing and lockers are installed up front”?... thanks in advance for any opinions given... this is my second vehicle I’ve had this done to, and do not remember my last truck having that noise at break in.
Don’t have 7 pin mod or elockers (has factory lockers), but was advised by Cruiser Outfitters last year when I regeared to 4.88’s that gears would be noisier especially during break in. I found that to be so. After break-in and heavier synth oil, don’t really notice it anymore.

Don’t have 7 pin mod or elockers (has factory lockers), but was advised by Cruiser Outfitters last year when I regeared to 4.88’s that gears would be noisier especially during break in. I found that to be so. After break-in and heavier synth oil, don’t really notice it anymore.
I've noticed that most gear manufacturers recommend NOT running sythetic gear oil in diffs. No idea if it really makes a difference or not but might when it comes to warranty issues?

I've noticed that most gear manufacturers recommend NOT running sythetic gear oil in diffs. No idea if it really makes a difference or not but might when it comes to warranty issues?
The shop used “Lucas gear oil” don’t know if it was synthetic. I’m taking it in on Monday to have them look at it, I’ve been driving it around and everything else seems fine. Maybe it’s normal and will dissipate with time. Thanks.

My friend had his discovery 2 regeared. The front diff whined since the day he got it, we thought it was noise from breaking it in so we left it. After about a year the whining stopped because the diff grenaded. Don’t be like us. I’d probably do some inspecting, sometimes “professional” shops…. Aren’t so professional.

Whining is not normal, and is usually a sign of improper gear setup.

Pin 7 mod has nothing to do with a whining noise.

Gears should not whine. That is indicative of something incorrect. Make note if the noise is during acceleration, deceleration, or all the time.
Also check lubricant levels.

Regular oil is typically used for break-in so the gears actually wear on each other. Then they can switch to synthetic to keep wear to a minimum.

Pin 7 mod has nothing to do with a whining noise.

Gears should not whine. That is indicative of something incorrect. Make note if the noise is during acceleration, deceleration, or all the time.
Also check lubricant levels.

Regular oil is typically used for break-in so the gears actually wear on each other. Then they can switch to synthetic to keep wear to a minimum.
Thanks bilt, took the truck back into the shop and they found one of the ring and pinion “new” bearings bad. Along with all the new noises I did notice axle shaft joints noisy during acceleration and deceleration that were also going to need replacement too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom