97 LX450 Transmission issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will only shift to Park, reverse and Drive with only 2nd gear. Seems like a shift solenoid, pressure switch or something electrical based on the fact of what works. Never had an issue with it before and fluid stays clean and at the correct level. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Do you mean the auto shift lever will only move to those positions, or do you
mean the vehicle will only move in Reverse or when the shifter is in Drive or 2 or??

Any noises, feeling like the transmission is slipping or something is binding?

Do you mean the auto shift lever will only move to those positions, or do you
mean the vehicle will only move in Reverse or when the shifter is in Drive or 2 or??

Any noises, feeling like the transmission is slipping or something is binding?
The shifter works in all of the gears. The transmission doesn’t shift past 2nd when driving. Thanks!

So you have Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive but no up-shift past 2nd gear?

If you manually start in low and upshift to second does it shift?

If you manually shift from 2nd to Drive does it shift.

Be sure your 2nd gear shift button isn't engaged. Depress it and engage and depress again to release.

If still giving trouble I would suspect shift solenoid(s).

Yes, it shifts from first to second fine. The 2nd shift button is has been turned on and off without any change. Just starts in 2nd that way. Just won’t upshift from 2nd gear. Thanks

this is a dumb question, have you checked your trans fluid levels? You could have burnt out the gear clutch for 3rd...and 4th.

Yes, it shifts from first to second fine. The 2nd shift button is has been turned on and off without any change. Just starts in 2nd that way. Just won’t upshift from 2nd gear. Thanks

Correct. Just thinking if you have an electrical glitch....it might be starting and staying in second. But clearly that is not the case.

IF everything works except a third gear up-shift I would be looking at shift solenoids. If you are going to drop the pan might as well replace all of them. They are not expensive if you don't use OEM and go with the ones used from another car manufacturer (I've forgotten which one...but a search will tell you, Isuzu I think), same part.

The A343F trans is a very reliable transmission and rarely suffer from internal problems (provided good fluid maintenance). Shift solenoids on the other hand are a somewhat common replacement part. You'll want to inspect your wiring to the transmission and any connections before replacing anything. It is not unheard of to find broken/chaffed wires or damage from mice chewing on wires.

Last edited:
Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom