‘97 LX450 putting it in reverse seems to shred the front axle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I just bought this truck. Put it in reverse a few hundred miles from the sale and heard an awful scraping from the driver side front axle. Then nothing. Few hundred more miles, it’s making this sound when I start to drive. Still rolling though. Took it to Toyota dealer they said the front axle looks like a grenade hit it. They showed me. $2442 to fix it. Also the spark plugs tubes were full of oil and so I fixed that too. Front brake calipers were toast. All total $4472.
30 miles down the road. Put it in reverse, same god awful sound from the front axle drivers side. At least I can roll but I don’t want to do more damage. Open to thoughts and suggestions. In any case, y’all have a good weekend. Cheers 🍻

Took it to Toyota dealer they said the front axle looks like a grenade hit it. They showed me.
There is no information here.
What did they show you?
What did you see?
What specific parts are you referring to?

By any chance does this guy have lockers?

There is no information here.
What did they show you?
What did you see?
What specific parts are you referring to?

you’re right - sorry about that. I’m sort of shocked still. I saw the axle opened up with the wheel off - and bearings and shards of metal

If I had to guess...drive flange at the wheel hub is worn/stripped. If you paid $2442 to fix that I’d take to an independent to verify drive flange and then challenge the credit card charge.
Thanks for your reply.
do you think I’ll do more damage if I drive to a shop ? I know one but it’s a few hours away.

If I had to guess...drive flange at the wheel hub is worn/stripped. If you paid $2442 to fix that I’d take to an independent to verify drive flange and then challenge the credit card charge.
don’t you think they’ll stand behind their work and just do it over if that’s the case ?

If I suspected the drive flange and had to drive it I would lock center diff and pull front drive shaft.

You may consider posting your location. You may find a friendly knowledgeable mudder willing to stop by and take a look and guide you on the repair. If it is the drive flange, its a 15 minute repair, most of which is finding your tools.

Make sure your calipers are secured as well.

If I suspected the drive flange and had to drive it I would lock center diff and pull front drive shaft.

You may consider posting your location. You may find a friendly knowledgeable mudder willing to stop by and take a look and guide you on the repair. If it is the drive flange, its a 15 minute repair, most of which is finding your tools.
I’m a half hour north of Arcata right off 101. I have pretty much zero mechanical ability. Like Kurt from Specter used to say to me “ there’s drivers and there’s mechanics. And you’re not a f-ng mechanic “

I’m a half hour north of Arcata right off 101. I have pretty much zero mechanical ability. Like Kurt from Specter used to say to me “ there’s drivers and there’s mechanics. And you’re not a f-ng mechanic “
@Russ in California is pretty close to you and knows his way around an 80. Maybe he can assist or give some direction. I think @Butt Ugly Chuck maybe in that area as well. @TRAIL TAILOR I believe is still n Redding.

Thank you very much. Do you think it’s a bad idea to drive it as is - even though it’s not making noise in forward drive ?
Above my pay grade, but I would probably do what @dallen341 said in post #10

You use the center lock in low (to engage), pull the fuse and put back in hi.

Above my pay grade, but I would probably do what @dallen341 said in post #10

You use the center lock in low (to engage), pull the fuse and put back in hi.
This all sounds like the sort of thing I am known for failing miserably at. I’m wondering if a tow truck is the best option for someone like me. I’m not like you guys I really suck at wrenching. I’m only okay at driving. I just like Cruisers because they almost always get me home.

This all sounds like the sort of thing I am known for failing miserably at. I’m wondering if a tow truck is the best option for someone like me. I’m not like you guys I really suck at wrenching. I’m only okay at driving. I just like Cruisers because they almost always get me home.
And because lately they have actually been my home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom