97 LX450 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this nice LX450 not running - now I want to put some life into it.

Where should I start? The motor doesn't run - PO said it was knocking before they had it retire.
Oil has no antifreeze or signs of a HG failure, but oil is very dark.
212k miles

The transmission is in Park position but the car acts like it is in Nutural position ( I'm able to roll it )

What concerns me is the fact that the PO wasn't aware of the fact that this is an full time AWD and maybe he towed it on a 2 wheel dolly when it stopped running. So if that's the case, what can he potentially have damaged by towing it on a 2 wheel dolly? transmission? axles?

at this point, I'm figuring out what kind of work it will need to I can start somewhere. Any suggestions?
Thanks here are some pictures ...

photo.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

thanks... Yeah, the T case is in Natural, so is the transmission probably gone?

If it is in neutral, that is good. Did you buy this truck in Virgina? I saw a similar truck advertised locally with the same issues.

I figure with a knocking engine try to get it running to drive and make sure tranny is good. I figure it needs replaced anyway. If tranny needs it to you have to figure out how much you want to to put in it.

short answer. - engine is were to start. no pun intended

Ditch that turd boat anchor motor and put a diesel or v8 in it :D

I finally got it to shift from Park by applying some force to the shifter while shifting. But I noticed the rear tail lights and brake lights not working. Only the flasher/turn signals work.
As far as the engine, still no start- i charged up the battery and even tried to use some starting fluid but the engine just wouldn't crank. Sounds like gas is not reaching the engine so i will check fuel pump tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom