97' LX450 on EBAY....HELP!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I fthe oil seal was done a while ago, I wouldn't worry about either. BUT, you can tell him you want to take it somewhere to check it out. Lots of members there who can recommend good shops who know these things.

But, since they were both replcaed early on (??? on seal) and there hasn't been any problems in years, I wouldn't be concerned if it checked out.

TX_TLC said:
I would think long and hard....

But if Lexus did the work...I would still think long and hard. This isn't the only truck out there. And personally I would pass yes...but it isn't my $.

Well... you can take this for what's it's worth based on my post count or whatever, but y'all are a paranoid bunch. For cryin' out loud, you are buying a USED CAR off of e-bay. There are no guarantees. I would be WAY more suspicious of the owner that says "Nope, no problems ever" and has a short block ABOUT to go out, or a rear main that is dripping right now.

Anyway, plan on budgeting some $ for repairs when you buy a used car. That's just life. I dumped a ton of $ into my FJ60 when I bought it, and even though I just bought an 80 from a board member here, I'll still probably drop $500+ in fix-ups. I have bought a car off of e-bay recently. Pay someone to go check it out. At least you HAVE some documented maintenance history on the truck which is WAY more than most trucks out there.

If you still want it use it as a negotiating point and bring the price down!

TX_TLC are you usually so paranoid? Just a friendly question as you seem to see boogymen everywhere.
Cheers,
Sean

Whjat's the item number? I saw one on their in Houston that was listed 55,000 times and hasn't sold since I'd seen it three months ago. It's a good price, there's "Good, Easy and Cheap" you can only have two so if you don't like it caugh up the axtra $4,000 it'll take to buy another one that makes you comfortable.. I would pull the trigger on this one though.. You know what your gut's telling you so do that provided you know what y ou normal level of fear is when buying something along these lines..

I agree with TX... This is information you should have discovered before purchasing the truck.

You mention that it had the rear main seal replaced and a new short block installed. Your post is not clear on when the seal was replaced. Was it AFTER the short block installation at 19k miles or before on the original engine? Obviously if it was replaced before the new sb, this is a non-issue.

MTNRAT - I fail to see your point about TX's posts... Paranoid? I don't think so. Cautious? Absolutely.

Take it to dealer and have it inspected.

MrZumma said:
I agree with TX... This is information you should have discovered before purchasing the truck.

You mention that it had the rear main seal replaced and a new short block installed. Your post is not clear on when the seal was replaced. Was it AFTER the short block installation at 19k miles or before on the original engine? Obviously if it was replaced before the new sb, this is a non-issue.

MTNRAT - I fail to see your point about TX's posts... Paranoid? I don't think so. Cautious? Absolutely.

So help out by finishing the sentence.

"I wouldn't buy a truck where the rear main seal has been replaced before because ____________."

What is your point re_guderian? If you are insinuating that I would make such a comment, you are wrong.

I am thinking, even if the rear main seal was replaced a year ago, its not a big deal as long as it Checks out. Tell the mechanic its history and have him look it over. Think about it this way, apparently you have the records to know whats been done and when unlike most used car buyers. The fact that the rear seal was replaced could mean that you won't have to worry about it and it may have been put in wrong with the short block or . . . .

The point is have it checked and tell them what to look at.

MrZumma said:
What is your point re_guderian? If you are insinuating that I would make such a comment, you are wrong.

Marty,

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm just trying to understand why the fact that a rear main seal has been replaced is justification for NOT buying a rig. That's all. You said if the seal was replaced on the old engine not to worry, implying that if it was replaced on the current engine to be worried.

MTNRAT said:
TX_TLC are you usually so paranoid? Just a friendly question as you seem to see boogymen everywhere.
Cheers,
Sean

The following statement is in no way insinuating anything about anyone...this is only MY opinion.

I would hardly call myself paranoid when it comes to these things. I have always worked hard for every penny I have to my name and I especially approach vehicle purchases with healthy dose of skeptisim. It will also help you get a lower price! :rolleyes:

If you have piles of cash to throw around and can recover from a $15K F-up...more power to you. But I don't.

I think we are confusing paulpilly here. Conservatism and skeptisism is always good when buying a vehicle and negotiating price. Can we agree that if he takes it to a reputable shop with the list of things that has been done and it gets checked out, he shouldn't worry about those items?

I had a engine replaced in a vehicle once at 20,000 miles. It was because the one that was in there had developed piston slap and so obviously, what was in their did not meet the tolerances required. Worked fine after that. They key is did replacing the short block completely fix the problem, if so then nothing to be concerened about

It doesn't have a 10-year/100,000 mile extended warranty or anything does it? ;) :D

Good luck!

Sounds like a good deal to me; I wouldn't sweat it!

My 40th got a short block at about 3k, after the dealer messed up the first oil change. It had a rear main seal put in by the same dealer many years later, as did my wife's '97. No big deal on any of that stuff.

I have a meticulously maintained 80 and when I switched to synthetic motor oil I developed a rear main leak. Had it fixed and end of leak. I am here in Houston and a member of Texas Land Cruiser Club. We have a mechanic in our club who is a cruiser freak. He is the only person outside myself I trust to work on my truck. If you would like his info, let me know as I have complete confidence in referring him as a source to do the once over on your possible purchase.

Buck

re_guderian said:
... I'm just trying to understand why the fact that a rear main seal has been replaced is justification for NOT buying a rig. That's all. You said if the seal was replaced on the old engine not to worry, implying that if it was replaced on the current engine to be worried.

Re-read my initial post. My agreement with TX is finding out everything you can before you plunk down $13k sight-unseen. I never implied that I would not purchase a rig with a history of a blown rear main seal. However, and like I said, I would be very cautious and I would have consulted my Lexus :princess: Service Manager friend BEFORE negotiating any deal with the seller.

Sorry for dragging this on, but I fail to see why folks pink panties are bunching up because there are some who choose not to throw caution to the wind..

re_guderian said:
So help out by finishing the sentence.

"I wouldn't buy a truck where the rear main seal has been replaced before because ____________."
I would rather go through the hassle of replacing it myself! :rolleyes:

Remember nobody said the rear mail seal was blown, it was replaced, have you ever seen how much stuff dealerships replace because of a bitchy customer, or a high-profile customer...they will do damn near anything, what's that a drop of oil on your new concrete driveway Mr Mayor, well we'll replace all those seals today, etc...

A new engine at 20K miles, well then the engine has 20K less miles than the vehicle...I fail to see a problem here.

I wonder how many people bought iffy vehicles with atleast something not 'perfect' and had major problems with them, versus how many people bought what they deemed the perfect vehicle only to have major problems shortly.

Go for it!

That new short-block could be a real blessing, so long as it wasn't operator caused and the operator did not fully reform their ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom