Builds '97 LX450 - Build it, break it, wheel it, fix it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am a noob to LC’s, but not to wheeling. I’ve had a bunch of K5’s ranging from relatively stock to monsters sitting on 40’s and one tons that could tackle any trail. I also had a 89 4runner that got linked and driven all over the SW US, from the Rubicon to Pritchett trail. My wife and kids are tired of going in a big loud blazer and we don’t all fit in a 4runner, so now, we have a luxury wheeler project that I can waste my time and money on. I just finished a LQ9 swap into my 1967 Nova, so this thing will get most of my wrenching attention.

I was going to buy a built rig, but to tell the truth, building is half the fun so I found this 97 LX with a184k miles on it that was driven by a woman who worked for the American Cancer Society. The truck had a ton of records, already had the head gasket replaced and is pretty clean, some clear coat peeling, but I don’t care as I got what I believe to be a good deal.

My plan is to use this to go on moderate wheeling trips with the family, camping, and to be able to drive it to and from any destination. With that said my plan is to go thought all the normal maintenance (plugs, cables, distributor, PHH, fluids, etc..), drive it around for a while and then start my build that will look like:

Phase 1: DONE

75mm Slinky
35” Tires Cooper STT Pro
ARB Lockers front and back
4.88 gears

Phase 2: Done
Smittybuilt 10k
Sliders - Trail Gear
4x4Labs Tire and Extra Fuel swing out
Front Bumper - Trail Gear Stinger
Belly Skid - IPOR

Phase 3: Done
New rotors
2wd Part Time kit
Lower Gears

Phase 4: Done
Wheel the sh*t out of it
Hood vents
Drawer system

Phase 5: Done
37's
De clad
Paint (ish)
Fix what broke in Phase 4

Thank you to everybody who contributed to the FAQ section and who posts here, I have been reading a ton and frankly you guys make it pretty easy.

IMG_20190926_113812.jpg

IMG_20190503_133018.jpg

1587782255276.jpeg

1588176235652.png

1588176279043.png

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. With 35"s you may want to go to 5.29 gears....

Congrats on a good looking LX. With a family, I would go with a "HD" spring at least in the rear. Why would you install a part time kit?

Well, I've never had a awd rig and since there's no snow here, I thought 2wd would reduce the wear on the front end and eliminate any shimmy from the front driveline post lift.

Well, I've never had a awd rig and since there's no snow here, I thought 2wd would reduce the wear on the front end and eliminate any shimmy from the front driveline post lift.
Think about how far the front axle can go without attention. Some guys part time to combat refractory front driveline vibes due to tall lifts or to help there chromoly front birfields last longer since they are softer than factory.
It's your rig, your money, your choice but at 2.5 inches of lift, driveline vibes should not be a problem but if it does vibrate, a double cardan drive shaft should take care of it.
Do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual and research the vast library of info archived right here on Mud before tackling problems or doing a modification. This will save you headaches and money.
Again, congrats and welcome abord.

Grats on the Lexi... the best mod I've done is 7W reverse LED lights...
Yah, with all the metal your going to hang on there I would go HD on coils. Dont worry about drive line vibs till it happens... my rig is at 3.5" just lifted from 2" & I feel very very slight vib.
As far as lift I would suggest going with dual rate coils. OME, Icon & Slinky have dual rate springs ranging from 0" to 3" lifts.

Thanks guys, I'll keep reading...I've made it through about half the faq including all the links to other threads. I'll start reading you ur build threads too, no point in having all those lessons fall on deaf ears.

Check out the trail gear sliders. A little fab work like adding gussets, but I think I got my set for 200 ish shipped.

Also, Luke at 4x4 labs does a group buy here for like 15% off at least once, maybe twice a year. If you buy his DIY kit, it's the most reasonable option for a very nice rear bumper.

Ok, I went a little armor crazy...I jumped on the4x4labs rear bumper GB, then got sliders and a front bumper delivered for $500...I'll do all the maintenance this weekend and start hanging weight as parts arrive. After reading and thinking, I think I'll target 33's. I've run 35, 37, 38, and 40...to be honest with dual lockers and 40's I had a hard time finding trails other than JV that were a real challenge. For a family rig, I bet the truth is that 33's and dual lockers will get me where I want to go

I replaced the radiator hoses and the PHH (which should be called the MFHH). The truck is full of H2O right now, I will run it , drain it and be on to something else tomorrow....

20161001_170247.jpg

20161001_170236.jpg

Glad you went with a real front bumper. Hiding a winch behind the stocker is not hard (harbor freight winch plate will do the trick), but the stock front bumper offers very little in the way of protection.

:edit: Looking at your sig, I used to own two 4Runners that I semi-ironically (because I actually did beat them up off road) named "the grocery getter" :hillbilly:

Yeah, I'm glad I got the bumper, I was going to make one, but these are so inexpensive. Anybody's who made a bumper will you, it takes a long time to measure, cut and bend all the metal....I also changed the oil and swapped out the get fan belts.

I was going to sell my plasma cutter, but I'm glad I didn't as I used to make skid plates and scabs for the sliders. I need to read up on clocking or changing out the cats first, they hang down too low right now.

Many on mud don't care for tube bumpers. I have the Metal Tech tube bumper with small stinger. It's light and provides a great approach angle and doesn't seem to stick out as far as the TG bumper.

Luckily for us, we live in a country where it is totally ok if people like different things. I like tube numbers, plus it reminds me of my 4Runner...ill weld on tabs for lights once I get a tad further down the road. Right now I am stalking the slinky 75mm springs and learning as much as I can..

4wheel underground 3Link Build

More maintenance, new cap, rotor, plugs and wires...I plugged the cylinder 3 wire into cylinder 4 and got a bunch of codes, turns out firing order is front to back...dooh! The plugs are perfect, I was super surprised...

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom