97 LX450 complete exhaust decisions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got this truck from a buddy who is making preps to move to Vietnam soon. In total, I got it for around $3K, but it's not perfect. The front seats are a mess, I'm having to make repairs to rocker panels just in front of the rear wheels, replaced throttle cable, etc., piddly stuff like that. Overall a good truck and I'm wanting to really kit it out for long-distance camping trips. One of the things that I'm just going to bite the bullet on is exhaust. Everything past the exhaust manifolds is past its Use By date. It was a huge pain, but I got all of it out except for the rear section because some muffler shop welded a strap to the rear cross member. WTF. Anyway, the truck has 160K on the clock, so I'd like to really take care of the main components properly, and the cobbled-together mess of swiss cheese exhaust is on that list.

I've priced out Magnaflow downpipe/cat, AP Exhaust muffler and rear sections, and all the gaskets in between. For the second cat I was intending to find a small resonator or will fab a short section of pipe to jump the gap. All told that's about $1100. So I'm curious if there is another system in this ballpark that would be money better spent? I'm not looking for "performance" systems, so those 3" systems aren't interesting to me, but change my mind. I guess I'm really looking for those with experience in this area to share what you've learned. If you had to do it all over again, what would you do and why?

I went OTRAMM, it only hurt once, and is beautiful. Not sure they are in production right now though due to material issues.

<Edit> - Not sure about SC, but if you have emissions, OTRAMM deletes the second cat.

Jason

I went OTRAMM, it only hurt once, and is beautiful. Not sure they are in production right now though due to material issues.

<Edit> - Not sure about SC, but if you have emissions, OTRAMM deletes the second cat.

Jason
Unfortunately their page says they're out of the stainless exhaust business. Bummer.

Sounds like you have DIY abilities. But I had a shop local to me use decent components, 1 muffler and 1 cat and install 2 new bungs(supplied O2 sensors). All installed for around $750 I think. Unfortunate part is my CEL is still on showing bank 2 sensor. But sounds very proper and quiet.
So instead of trying to make sure parts fit together, you could have a pro put something together under your direction for similar money. just an option

I picked up the Bosal system from Rockauto earlier in the year. I got the CARB compliant downpipe which was actually a Magnaflow. The whole system fitted together with zero faffing about. I think the price was more or less what you have been quoted. Only the downpipe was stainless.

I went a new genuine exhaust on my HZJ80 this year. Just putting it out there as another option, as I think you'll find it's still available for your rig. Bit pricey, but the original one lasted 25 years on my rig, so I figured it was worth it.

I picked up the Bosal system from Rockauto earlier in the year. I got the CARB compliant downpipe which was actually a Magnaflow. The whole system fitted together with zero faffing about. I think the price was more or less what you have been quoted. Only the downpipe was stainless.
This is what I did earlier this year too.
The only problem I had was the flange between the cats was rotated differently than stock and rubbed on my rock slider's cat guard. I had to take a snagging wheel and modifiy the flange and lower the slider to its low limit on the frame bolts.
I need to look at this again and see if a spacer can be added to the exaust hanger to raise the Cat joint.

I went full custom on my LX450. I had the Magnaflow downpipe/cat ceramic coated and dropped the truck off at a hot rod shop with a Bosal muffler and pipes in the back.
They did a nice custom job over the frame and exit just in front of the rear tire. Reasonably quiet and cleared out the entire passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom