97 LX450 Antenna Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to repair my non-functional antenna on my (first) new to me 80. With a little effort I have the motor running meaning it comes on (goes up? ) when the radio comes off and goes back down when the truck is turned off; however, the antenna doesn't move. The cable and mast were installed into the motor. Thinking the cable was broken, I pulled the mast and cable from the motor but it appears to be intact (no noticeable breaks and the end of the cable tapers to a smooth end, I assume for easy insertion). I also don't see any teeth missing from the cable. I tried to reinsert the cable but I cannot get the motor to grab the cable.

Given those circumstances, would you think the issue is related to the motor or just need a new mast and cable?

Bonus points for giving me help on the easiest way to remove the motor. I've watched videos and read enough to know that the motor on the LC is accessible from the wheel well. On my 97 LX450, that whell well is a hard shell that doesn't match the description I've seen in the how-to instructions. I haven't tried it, but I may be able to pull it through the hole in the engine bay (behind the cruise control) however I'm not sure how to access the bolt that holds the antenna motor in place.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!

Thanks. I may go down that path eventually but seems like I can get the power antenna working. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I'm with enox, I dumped the stock power antenna and put on a flexible whip.
Nothing like a nice fragile brass tube antenna when rolling around in the forest. :rolleyes:
I replaced the power antenna button with a thermometer.
Amazon product ASIN B07WS11X45

I'm with enox, I dumped the stock power antenna and put on a flexible whip.
Nothing like a nice fragile brass tube antenna when rolling around in the forest. :rolleyes:
I replaced the power antenna button with a thermometer.
Amazon product ASIN B07WS11X45
This is cool...is the display annoying at night and where did you put the (2) separate probes?

This is cool...is the display annoying at night and where did you put the (2) separate probes?
It's not overtly annoying, and I like a dark cabin at night. The indoor probe is plugged into the sniffer tube for the automatic climate control. The outdoor probe is run up to the temp sensor behind the front bumper.
Had to buy some two conductor signal wire to extend the second probe, and ran it in 3/8" loom so it looks nice and neat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom