97 Landcruiser bad wheel bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

The driver side wheel of my 97 landcruiser was overhbeated, there were smoke and smelt like burning rubber. Took it apart, one of the wheel bearing was crushed., there were metal pieces all over. Not sure what caused it, always had steering knuckle leaks before. Couple of questions.

1st photo, Is the birfield safe to use. Damaged by metal pieces from the crushed wheel bearing.

2nd photo. Is axle hub still useable? Have cut it accidentally with a oscillating tool when I cut the 54mm locking nut off.

Lastly, both the knuckle bearings are stuck. One to the knuckle arm, one to the upper bearing cap. Probably caused by the heat. Any idea how to remove them?

Thanks a lot.

View attachment 3277583View attachment 3277584
At the risk of swimming upstream, and not knowing at all how much money you have to throw at this, my expert opinion is (I used to design and build off-highway axles for Dana, so yes, I am a subject matter expert):

The short shaft section that is gnarly is connective tissue between the splines and bearing journal. As long as there is no visible material fatigue damage, and from what I can see in the photo the splines and journal are intact, it's OK to reuse. I wouldn't try to sell it as new, but it'll be OK. The splines and the journal are the critical areas.

The hub has two critical machined surfaces: the cup/seal bores. As long as they're unmarred, and there is no visible material fatigue damage, it's OK. It's not pretty, but it'll spin just fine.

I would be reticent to offer this if you had said the damage resulted from an impact, because then there would be the possibility that an unseen stress fracture existed, that you couldn't find with the naked eye. Your described failure mode doesn't make that likely, in my mind.

Obviously, if you have the money, replace both.

The spindle is a different matter, because you haven't shown what the journal looks like, and based on the crap on it in the photo, it's likely some of that stuff got under the rollers and at the very least spun the cone. However, as with the other parts, look at the critical areas and if no visible damage is seen, it's likely OK. The critical areas on the spindle are the journals and threads. I'd measure them to make certain they aren't deformed (egg shaped, that is), but I'd doubt the diameters have been changed, so the cone and seal should fit OK.

Lastly, I'll say with complete honesty, I'd throw the whole lot in the trash. But I can afford that. HTH

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom