craigslist 97 Land Cruiser Craigslist Scam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In case anyone's wondering, this is in fact a scam:

land Cruiser FZJ80 97

But they did send a link to photos of a Land Cruiser:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

There was some whole story about the car being in Montana, or it went to a shipping company, and it belonged to this woman's son who got killed in Iraq. Classy.

Here's the last e-mail from this person after I asked where the truck is:

i`m located in Helena MT (the suv is here with me) right now because i got a new job here,the thing is i`m very busy and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner(on my cost). I will make the deal only to eBay. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 7 days testing period after delivery. During that 7 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask eBay to send you the details on how this works. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay ( full name, full address ) so we can get things started.

Ok, I'll bite, you have 1 post.

How have you verified this is in fact a scam?

^^ Probably because he can read. There is so much wrong about that email response it is hilarious.

boomer28 said:
^^ Probably because he can read. There is so much wrong about that email response it is hilarious.

That and the fact that this cruiser was sold to a mud Member last November by WNcruiser...it is supercharged and very nice.

I've delt with these Craigslist scammers before. They use the same MO. They try to tell you that eBay is an intermediary, and they'll take care of shipping. They seem to throw in some kind of military/veteran scenario to appeal to our patriotic nature also.

Tell them to PayPal you $1000 as a gift, and when it clears you'll add it to the price of the vehicle. Just to make sure your bank account working.

They'll send you what looks to be legitimate "Ebay" docs. They are ALL fabricated. They want you to wire or Western Union the funds and the victim feels secure because they have these so called official docs. Ebay doesn't protect items nor transactions outside of an auction/transaction of their site.

Email response I got this morning:

"Hello,
My name is Sivanna Sofia. Thanks for being interested in buying my 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser . The suv is in perfect condition , with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever, never been involved in any accidents . It has 171911 miles , automatic transmission , 4.5L engine size , Gray exterior . I have a clear and clean title for it , no liens or loans ready to be signed and notarized on your name ... The price is $1800 if you want to buy it today or tomorrow.
I'm selling my son's suv , who died in Iraq two months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great . Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the suv of your dead son, no offense)

Here are the pictures with the suv:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I can provide VIN # to check on your own, also I can send you more details too . Just let me know if you are still interested and where are you located .
Thank you,
Sivanna"

Boomer, that's the exact same initial response that I got. Google that name and see what comes up. I have to wonder how these guys pick their names.

Here's the last e-mail from this person after I asked where the truck is:

i`m located in Helena MT (the suv is here with me) right now because i got a new job here,the thing is i`m very busy and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner(on my cost). I will make the deal only to eBay. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 7 days testing period after delivery. During that 7 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask eBay to send you the details on how this works. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay ( full name, full address ) so we can get things started.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like an email sent to a friend of mine who inquired about an old bronco. It was in my area and he wanted me to look at it for him, but could never get a phone number out of the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom