1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 FZJ80 TACH Stopped Working

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by j.atkins, Nov 1, 2003.

1. j.atkins

j.atkins

Any ideas... Well the tach does show some RPMS at higher RPMS but they are incorrect so the needle does move up and down. The dealer says I need a new instrument panel... speedo and tach (all that jazz) $450 plus about 3 hours of labor. Is this a common problem??? It only has 54K on the LC. Also does anyone know where I can find a instrument panel cheaper than my local dealer

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Welcome J.

450 bucks buys you only the tach. It is an 83242-6A200 and Toyota's suggested list price is $464.48

Tach failure is not common but it is possible to have a bad one. There isn't a good way to try to fix it, if it is malfunctioning you will need a replacement. 95-97 use the same tach. You may be able to find a used one at a wercking yard. Expect to pay about half the cost of a new one, IF they will split it up and sell just the tach.

D- :beer:

3. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Was just driving home from getting my truck inspected and my tach just stopped working completely. Is there a fuse or a connection somewhere i should check first?