97 FZJ80 + SC + Baja Heat = High Coolant Temperatures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KoyoRad, and fits like a glove, just like my non S/C 94 rig.

Aluminum; the old one I removed still had a lot of sediments on the lower tank; Im doubting it was serviced correctly.

Compressed air physics strike again...pumping superheated air constantly into your engine will do that. Its part if SC ownership, these suckers will make my truck run warmish once the ambient outside air temps go over 100 degrees. All later TRD superchargers came with a liquid to air intercooler for the later 4.7 and 4.0 Toyota engines but those came many years later.
I have the Same set up here with mods like
  • ToolsRus black hub 30k fan clutch
  • Methanol injection
  • Jdm electric fan
  • 2F fan blade assy
  • Removed flow obstructing bumper and KC lights from in front of grill
  • Foam on top or radiator gap
  • Blocked off throttle body coolant line
  • Hood vents
  • Cooling system in top condition. New rad,hoses,coolant
  • Tried the rear hood lift for better venting, didn't seem to make a noticeable difference
  • 215 is normal in AZ summers and works fine for me.

• I Almost bit on having a intercooler professionally installed but haven't yet convinced myself the price tag is something I want to do. Only logical next step for me.

Last edited:
Any update in this post ? I know it’s 4 years later but I have a stock 96 here in Phoenix,AZ and having similar issues. Brand new radiator, new blue hub fan clutch with 30k oil in it. New water pump and thermostat all from Toyota. In 100 degree or hotter weather running at 196F as soon as I come to a stop it creeps up to 216F while at idle. Any info will help. Wasted all my money on this things tht I did so taking it to a shop is not an option right now unfortunately

Well, you are not going to like my update.
I did everything I could possibly do to keep the 80 coolish at summer with the SC, I failed, and I just accepted the fact that without a intercooler our weather is just to hot for a SC 80 running AC, I just kept reaching the AC cutoff limit, and sadly, I could never really use the boost at summer.
So, I sold the SC, engine and tranny and slapped a LQ9; a bit more investement but more bang for the buck; couldnt be happier; still have the tic to keep checking water temperature all the time in summer tho...

Ya I smoked the TPS on a 5VZ with the TRD S/C. Heat sink with that setup is real. Fixed the issues or so it seemed by using a TB spacer, obviously you are not doing that with a side mount.

I contemplated going with an IC on it but instead got rid of the truck and went to a v8 Cruiser. Zero issues and more power. :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom