97 fzj80 Help 4 a Lost Key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So to keep it short I lost the one key I had for my cruiser and need to replace it. Luckily I have the tumbler turned to ACC because I needed to keep it in neutral for repair reasons so it should be easier to replace the lock cylinder if need be. Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know how start this truck without key? (Please PM me if you are willing to explain I can demonstrate ownership if need be)
2. Does anyone have a spare key set they are willing to part with?--for a decent price since new sets are a few hundred at least!
3. Would it be more affordable to have a locksmith make a replacement key?
This key wasn't anything fancy as far as I could tell but Home Depot couldn't make a copy.
I finally have time to change my bearings and I wanna get this thing ready for summertime cruising so any help is much appreciated.

On my 97 I just went to the dealer and had them cut new keys from the vin number for $15 a key. All they needed was proof of ownership. Keys worked great.

That's pretty sweet but my problem is the last owner replaced the driver side door and ignition so I'm out of luck with that solution. But that will definitely help with opening the rest of the doors

Call an actual locksmith and ask if they can cut you a new key with just the old ignition cylinder. Those locksmiths can do amazing things....

For my 1994, I had to pull the passenger side door apart and pull the tumbler out, there was a code stamped on it. Here's a picture, I pixeled my code out so no one can come steal my lovely truck. Maybe it's different for you. But I gave that code to the locksmith and was good to go. The keys are still a little sticky in the locks, but I use that oem-ish alarm for unlocking so no biggie.

Best part was after doing this I found my existing spare key a week later.

iD0blXA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom