97' FZJ80 heated seat install with Toyota horizontal low/high switches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Post number 7 - good write up on how to wire by scratch. My seats are apart right now and I intend to replicate this post.

Seat Heater Installation

Finished my own install in the LX - never found heated seat plugs. I did however wire up similar to the link above in terms of relay placement but took my triggers * ignition/run power * for the relays from two sources. I used to have the cd changer but pulled it a couple of years ago. I'd don't recall which one ran the cd player but I found an unused plug under the console that likely powered the cd player. It has constant and run power. I tapped into run power for one relay.

For the second seat and relay, I tapped into the run power for the rear seat blower. I've never used the rear seat heater so didn't think a tap matters. The blower motor under the passenger seat has run power that I guess is available and waiting for when you actually activate the switch on the dash.

Last edited:
Any idea if this switch will work?

es300.jpg

I bought some of the vertical switches a long time ago from cruiserparts.net and I finally tackled this job. But there were still some unanswered questions that weren't really addressed on this thread (at least not according to my feeble brain), so I was hoping to shed a little bit of light on the things that confused me.

First, according to this (http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/seat-heater-electrical-diagram-pdf.460604), the seat heaters are connected in parallel when the switch is HI (each sees the full 12V), and in series when the switch is LO (each sees only 6V). There are two extra connections to be made to the under-seat connector, in addition to the ground. When switched to HI, the pins are connected to:

1 GND
2 +12V

When switched to LO, the pins are are:

1 +12V
2 Open Circuit

So you can wire the aftermarket heaters to be in parallel/series like:

In HI, the voltage at pin 2 reaches both heaters and they are both independently grounded. In LO, the voltage travels through the top heater, then the bottom, then to GND.

Also, I wanted to put new pins in the connector on the seat, and I searched for exactly what kind of pins they are (and a part number). Using this (https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/connectors-pdf.915794/), I found that the pins are of the 2.3II type (since the pin is 2.3mm across), and that you can buy one from Toyota using part number 82998-12330. But they're quite expensive and include a pigtail. I just wanted the pin itself, and I found this (Amazon.com: Automotive Connectors 090Ii Non Sld Tab(Sq 0.3-0.5): Automotive) if you want 5 or this (Amazon.com: Automotive Connectors 090II NON SLD TAB(SQ 0.3-0.5) (50 pieces): Automotive) if you want 50 of them. The 2.3II pin is the same as a 090II pin (they're also .090 inches across).

I hope that helps!

I have brown high low seat switches with pigtails I don't need. Fits the factory blanks in the console

gone long ago thanks

Sean at American Toyota got me the P/Ns for the pins in the connector below the seat. The male pin is 82998-12330 and the female pin is 82998-12340.

Maybe I missed it, but how many of these pins will I need in order to hook up both front seat heaters?

I know, right? One disconnect is for power, one is to the switch, two are for the elements.

Any ideas on how I might be able to modify this?

The switch has HI, LO, GND and PWR, I guess. Just trying to figure out how i draw power and ground the elements.

Thanks.

Hey @Congo Cruiser looks like I have the same seat heater set up and wiring as you did. Did you ever get this project finished? If so, how did you end up modifying your harness?

Last edited:
awesome project, one question:

I have one audi A8 seat with all the wires and plugs, if I just bought the SWITCH with the plugs and connect to the seat that will work? Probably not because I will need to power up the switch and the heater element in the seat, how can I figure out this?

here is the project:

Car seat as a chair / Audi A8 Seat

LX450 Heated Switch Wiring Loom

Like others I've torn into my console looking for the wiring loom shown in post #1. No luck. I found these and got excited for a minute but I don't think either are what I want. Anyone know what these two are for? Is the smaller one for the console fridge?
IMG_2585.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG

It's nice when telling the wife about this thread and SHE gets excited!

WHERE TO ADD THE PINS UNDER THE SEAT FOR POWER TO THE HEATED SEAT ELEMENTS
Here is picture showing the underside of my seat. I noted where the seat bottom element wires come through and the seat back wires come through. You join those together and then attach Toyota male pins to the positive HIGH and positive LOW wires. I had some old wiring laying around that I could use for the pins, so you will have to find some or source them from somewhere. You will need four of them ( a positive HIGH and positive LOW for each seat.
But here is a picture of what one would look like so you can get an idea:
View attachment 1179335

Here is a picture of the underside of the seat with notes on where and what is going on:
View attachment 1181428

Here is a close up picture of what it looks like and shows the ground wire being tapped into:
The two green wires you see on the left are the positive HIGH and positive LOW that I added.
View attachment 1179338

@jwilliams Still trying to figure out the underseat wiring. I have the additional pins for low/high signals. I don't understand what goes where from the factory underseat connector to the heating elements. Does the ground go to one of the heating element wires and the the rest of the low/high signals go to the other three? No sure if you can provide any additional info on what the black/yellow/white wires are that you have going to the heating element connectors.

@jwilliams Still trying to figure out the underseat wiring. I have the additional pins for low/high signals. I don't understand what goes where from the factory underseat connector to the heating elements. Does the ground go to one of the heating element wires and the the rest of the low/high signals go to the other three? No sure if you can provide any additional info on what the black/yellow/white wires are that you have going to the heating element connectors.

It depends on what heating elements you ended up buying. For mine, I used the basic guide as I reported:

White with black trace = Ground - you will need to tap into this one, as it is also used for the powered seats.

Blue with black trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Lo position

Blue with orange trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Hi position.

Black wire is usually ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom