97' FZJ80 heated seat install with Toyota horizontal low/high switches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently installed new leather with heated seat elements.
Here is my video review of the leather and quick look at heated seat switches

This information is for a 1997 FZJ80, I am not sure if all models have the factory plugs under the center console, please check to verify.

PREFACE
The truck has two plugs, drivers and passenger side heated seat plugs in the factory wiring loom located under the center console. If you buy one of the two switches below they come with the correct pigtails to plug directly into the factory wiring loom. The relays are in the truck already and the switches work, meaning that they light up and the high and low function regulates the power to the heating elements.
The power for the high and low heated seat elements flows from the factory loom to the underside of the seat where there is another plug. That plug contains the functions for the power seats...the only plug you unplug if you were going to remove the seat from the truck.

This is where Toyota deleted the pins for heated seats. On the seat side of the disconnected plug there are two open spots for a high and low pin to be added. You will have to tap into the ground at this point as well.

What we do not have from the factory are heating elements in the seats (the part between the foam and leather). This is what you must add in order to make this whole system work.

Basic Breakdown:
  1. Plug Switch into factory loom under center console
  2. Add heated seat elements to the seat. Bottom side you sit on and the back to each seat.
    You will need to wire those together in each seat. You will have 3 wires for each seat (a positive HIGH, positive LOW and ground.)
  3. Add two pins to each open plug under each of the seats, and tap into the ground wire on the same plug.
These are the wires that you have to match the pins that you add to under the seat. From @CycloSteve

White with black trace = Ground - you will need to tap into this one, as it is also used for the powered seats.

Blue with black trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Lo position

Blue with orange trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Hi position.

There are some great threads with all the information you would need, but I thought I would try and pull most of it into one thread.
Threads to reference:
Seat Heater Switches

TOYOTA HEATED SEAT SWITCHES
There are two different types of switches:
* Notice that both of these switches come with the correct pigtail allowing you to plug into the factory wiring loom*

Vertical
Vertical heated switch.JPG

Horizontal
Horizontal heated switch.jpg

HEATED SWITCH WIRING LOOM LOCATION ALREADY IN THE TRUCK
There are already heated seat plugs in the factory loom under the center console.
Remove the center console
Look around for three plugs bundled together that are unused. Two are for the heated seat switches to plug into. I believe the third ( on the top of the right plugs in the picture below) is for the center console fridge which was not an option in the US.
Here is what the two look like for the heated switches:
Picture from @Chris FJ80 (link to pictures)
Center Consel Wires 5.jpg

PLACEMENT OF HEATED SEAT SWITCH
I choose to use the horizontal switch and put them next to the rear heater switch.
To do this I cut the wiring pigtail that was included with the switches in half and added 3 feet of wire to each wire. I soldered all of these connections so that I never had to touch them again. Just make sure you join the correct wires.
extended switch wires.jpg

Here you can see the extend switch installed into the factory loom:
Extended switch installed.jpg

Last edited:
WHERE TO ADD THE PINS UNDER THE SEAT FOR POWER TO THE HEATED SEAT ELEMENTS
Here is picture showing the underside of my seat. I noted where the seat bottom element wires come through and the seat back wires come through. You join those together and then attach Toyota male pins to the positive HIGH and positive LOW wires. I had some old wiring laying around that I could use for the pins, so you will have to find some or source them from somewhere. You will need four of them ( a positive HIGH and positive LOW for each seat.
But here is a picture of what one would look like so you can get an idea:
Male pin.JPG

Here is a picture of the underside of the seat with notes on where and what is going on:
underseat-editted.jpg

Here is a close up picture of what it looks like and shows the ground wire being tapped into:
The two green wires you see on the left are the positive HIGH and positive LOW that I added.
Wires added to provide power.jpg

Last edited:
FINISHED PRODUCT
Seat 2.jpg

I also just did some base line testing with a non Contact infrared thermometer from Harbor freight.
Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting
Here are the results:

It was 30 degrees outside.
I sat in the back seat for all testing, so I was not sitting on the elements.
The truck was cold and this was the first time I turned the truck on for the day.
The heat or ac was turned off.
Truck was running in park in my driveway.
I ran the test for 10 minutes.
The before temperature was before I turned the truck on, so I was sitting in the back seat and took some quick readings.

Driver side seat switch was turned to the low position:

Drivers Side (Set to Low)
Before
Bottom Element - 24.7 Degrees
Back Element - 25 Degrees

After
Bottom Element - 30.1 Degrees
Back Element - 34.0 Degrees

Passenger Side (Set to High)
Before
Bottom Element - 30.1 Degrees
Back Element - 34.00 Degrees

After
Bottom Element - 55.1 Degrees
Back Element - 59 Degrees

I know that isn't the most scientific way to test/show the temperature... but it at least gives you an indication of the difference between Low/High.

I hope this is useful to everyone. There are a lot of great threads that I read through to help pull this all together. It is rather easy once you get into it.
If there are any questions or comments fire away.

Last edited:
Excellent write up, and a project I need to take on! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Outstanding write-up. This is exactly what I'm looking to do. The factory switches and location give it a much cleaner look than the aftermarket options I've seen.

Will be checking to see if my 95 is wired for this.

Thanks for taking the time to document your work. Appreciate the effort.

Thanks for the write up! I have some new leather (Shane's kit) that i'm getting ready to install in my '96, but I thought I might as well install some seat heaters while I'm at it to get me through these harsh California winters.

I have a few questions;

If i want to install the vertical switches in the center console, I do not need to extend the wire harness, correct?

Where did you source the factory heated seat switches? Part #'s?

Which heating elements did you use? Ebay? Amazon?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the write up! I have some new leather (Shane's kit) that i'm getting ready to install in my '96, but I thought I might as well install some seat heaters while I'm at it to get me through these harsh California winters.

I have a few questions;

If i want to install the vertical switches in the center console, I do not need to extend the wire harness, correct?

Where did you source the factory heated seat switches? Part #'s?

Which heating elements did you use? Ebay? Amazon?

Thanks again!

Correct. If you are using the vertical switch and you want to put it in the center console then you do not need to extend the pigtail.

The heated switch part numbers and sources are shown in the link above each picture.

I used Shanes heating elements, but removed all wiring. I didn't use the relays or anything.

This looks exactly like what I received, so you could try using it.
I didn't have a temp. control module or anything like it states on Metrics website.
Amazon.com : Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit Hi/Lo Setting 3 Years USA Warranty - 2 Seats : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics

So if you look at the kit above, all I used were the heating elements. I didn't use the relays or switches.

Last edited:
Correct. If you are using the vertical switch and you want to put it in the center console then you do not need to extend the pigtail.

The heated switch part numbers and sources are shown in the link above each picture.

I used Shanes heating elements, but removed all wiring. I didn't use the relays or anything.

Perfect, thank you!

Hmmm I used Shane's kit and followed the instruction in the links you posted. I did use his wiring and relays. Results are so so.

Might have to revisit this.

Hmmm I used Shane's kit and followed the instruction in the links you posted. I did use his wiring and relays. Results are so so.

Might have to revisit this.
Yeah, the kit I received had no temperature control module or anything. I just got switches and relays. Looked just like the Amazon kit I linked to above.

Doesn't matter though. All I needed were the carbon fiber heating elements.

Where did you source the horizontal switches from?

84751-60030 for $51.99
84751-60030 / LAND CRUISER VAN / toyota | part detail|JP-CarParts.com

84751-60040 for $51.99
84751-60040 / LAND CRUISER VAN / toyota | part detail|JP-CarParts.com

Total would be $103.98, plus shipping maybe.

Looks like you add them to your inquiry (or Cart).
Then go up and click on "Inquiry" next to the Tweet button in the top left of the page.
You can pay in US currency, using paypal.

** This is not where I bought them from and I have never used this site.**

Great write up! Thanks for all sharing all the legwork you did. It will make my install much easier!

Ordered a set of the CF heating pads today, I've had the horizontal switches for about a year and half already. This just got a big bump up my list of things to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom