97 FZJ80 Grill Repaint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
I busted open my boxes from Cruiser Dan today. They have been in the garage mocking me for over a month. Today I changed out my old broken headlight assembly. While I had the grill off I decided to put the rattle cans of primer and bumper coat to their intended use.(These pre-date the C Dan shipment by almost 6 months.) I originally intended to use them on my bumper but the grill was talkin to me tonight.

In my usual unorganized fashion, I wasted about 20 minutes looking for that ever elusive roll of blue mask.

Side note: When you buy anything to do with spray paint make sure to also grab some painters tape. Same scenario with plumbing parts...whenever you buy fittings connectors or pipes, always get a roll or two of teflon tape. I can never find my teflon or my blue tape.

I cleaned up the grill and sanded it just enough for the primer to stick. I masked off all the chrome parts. I used SEM primer and hit it several times lightly until I thought I had good coverage.

After the primer was good and dry I sprayed several coats of the charcoal paint. I bought it for the bumper and it says bumper coat on the can but I used it anyway. I am already planning to repaint as you will see it's a little too light colored. Not a good match for the original bumper and grill color.

More pics after repaint.
John D

Last edited:
Pics

1. First pic is the new headlight assembly. I included it so you can see the bumper. It is badly chipped from road debris and bug impact. Also since I forgot to take a before pic of the grill the bumper gives you some idea of what it(grill) looked like before paint.

2. primer coat

3. First top coat application
light.jpg
primer1.jpg
grillfirsttop.jpg

More pics

1. Final coat applied, tape removed, sombrero returned.

2. Reinstalled. Notice the difference between the bumper and grill.

3. Paint cans.
grillfinal.jpg
paint.jpg
grilllastcoat.jpg

that looks good. what color is you cruiser?

Dark Blue

Thanks.

I think I will repaint it again anyway.
The color is not quite dark enough to match.

J

It's actually starting to grow on me. I think I might just give it a light sanding and hit it again when I do the bumper.

:beer:
J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom