97 FZE-80 starting problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having problems getting the starter engaged. When I turn the key to start I just hear a click. If I keep turning the key on and off to start the starter will eventually engage and the motor starts easily. I thought I had a bad battery ( cleaned the battery terminals first and that didn't help). I took the 2yr5mo old 84 month Toyota battery to the Toyota dealer for testing and they said it was bad and gave me a new one (for $90). Well, it does the same thing with the new battery. Here are two other symptoms:
1. sometimes when the battery does engage it turns too slow and then stops turning. 2. sometimes the starter will not stop running when the key is returned to back to the left to the normal run position or even when the ignition is turned off and the key is removed! One local mechanic thought it could be a faulty ignition switch. Any ideas?

I am having problems getting the starter engaged. When I turn the key to start I just hear a click. If I keep turning the key on and off to start the starter will eventually engage and the motor starts easily. I thought I had a bad battery ( cleaned the battery terminals first and that didn't help). I took the 2yr5mo old 84 month Toyota battery to the Toyota dealer for testing and they said it was bad and gave me a new one (for $90). Well, it does the same thing with the new battery. Here are two other symptoms:
1. sometimes when the battery does engage it turns too slow and then stops turning. 2. sometimes the starter will not stop running when the key is returned to back to the left to the normal run position or even when the ignition is turned off and the key is removed! One local mechanic thought it could be a faulty ignition switch. Any ideas?

Classic signs of failed starter contacts. When the starter stays running the contacts and plunger are fused together and can cause a fire. Replace the contacts/plunger or complete starter ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom