97 Front Passenger door opens when making left turns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is something that my wife told me was happening, I didn't believe her till this morning. It happened three times.

1st. Doors unlocked.
2nd. Low speed, less than 25-30,
3rd. Making a left turn and "click" then the passenger door swings open while doing the turn.

I have no idea why this is happening. Can't find it in anyone else's thread, It does not appear to happen when the doors are unlocked, but after dropping off the kids, I didn't think to re-lock them and then it started happening.. kinda scary.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have not had this problem till recently, no damage, no messing with linkage or door interior.

Thanks in advance tot he Mud Collective.

Crawdad

Neat, wish mine had a passenger eject feature sometimes..
Sorry, no real advice.
Are you saying that the doors unlock themselves? I occasionally hear my locks do some strange things, but I think it's related to the aftermarket alarm..

a

Bailing wire: roll down front and rear passenger windows, pass bailing wire around post support and through said windows. Negative engagement situation solved! But seriously, door locks are like gun safeties, some lock by blocking the handle from opening some work by not letting the latch open. I think this is why your door stays engaged when locked. I would check for excessive wear in the linkage, or some other linkage problem. Could be the latch mechanism itself.

I would definitely check to be sure that the latching mechanism in the door is going to its "second" detent when closed...could be that the part on the B-Pillar is out of adjustment.

:cheers:

Steve

x2 on Steve's post-
close latch to 2nd detent with screwdriver or punch and try to force open with same- if it won't open unless handle is pulled it is either not latching,striker misaligned, worn etc-
If it opens right up check rods from hande to latch assy- -all inner workings : lube , rinse, repeat

Your door most likely needs to be adjusted or the lock replaced.

Does your door lock latch in the second/locked position? Is the black plastic still there covering the metal rotating latch on the lock (common problem with all door locks)?

If the lock works well and the plastic is there you need to adjust the silver door catch for the lock. It sounds as though it needs to be moved out just a bit to force the lock to catch in the second/locked position.

Just some ideas to look at.

Last edited:
Hmmm, another reminder that wearing seatbelts is a good idea...
;p

Agree that it's something mechanical; the fact that the locks are electrical should have nothing to do with the door actually opening.

That's what was known as the Lamar Avenue mod (a Memphis colloquialism), known to be effective in ridding onesself from pesky ho's that won't take a hint. Also has been used for the old "oops was that my wife?" ruse....

Awesome posts guys.... I am dying over here. Seriously though, update. I read the comments about the 2nd position and tested it... it wasn't completely engaging.

I stuck the WD-40 straw up in the linkage and blasted away. Then I took a 100 mile offroad adventure with a buddy today from 5 mile pass recreation area to Little Moab north of Elberta UT. NO problems the rest of the day. No rabbit's to blast, but some good trail, mostly gravel and 2 track but one squeaky area up a side canyon that felt like a side tip adventure post coming...happy to say I kept all 4 wheels to the dirt and lived to tell the tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom