('97 FJ80) Replacement Speaker / Existing Amp - bypass or replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

96LandcruiserPJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I have replaced the original stereo head end with a (gift) Pioneer AVH-2400NEX. I have reviewed the threads here and YouTube and think I want to replace the speakers with OEM Replacement Speakers in the six primary locations with limited changes to the profiles. The head end is installed and works well. I have seen threads that suggest bypassing the original amp (maybe because it fed all 9 speakers) and some that suggest replacing the amp. I'd love to get an idea of the pros and cons (especially personal experience) of why I might do one or the other (or leave the existing amp with no bypass) when I replace the speakers.

As always, thanks in advance.

Most newer vintage aftermarket head units have built-in amplifiers that produce higher quality power output with less distortion than the OEM amplifier.
Agreed. Plus the speakers that you lose in the bypass (knees and subwoofer in the back) are weak undersized poorly positioned junk that can't even handle new stereo output well. Getting an aftermarket speaker for those spots is nearly impossible and pointless. For better sound you want component speakers, proper crossovers, and a real subwoofer along with nice amplifiers. Best inexpensive scenario is new headunit, 4 door speakers, and a small powered subwoofer that can be hidden under a front seat. Next level up would be go separate speakers rather than coaxial in the doors. Then you are at 20 year old technology rather than 30 year old tech.

Another speaker question ('94 FZJ): Is that little speaker in the right side cargo area supposed to be a subwoofer? What is that small box mounted next to it?
All my other OEM speakers work fine for me. The one in the rear has dissolved.
Should I simply abandon it?

This is going to come down to what you want to get out of replacing your system. If you normally listen to talk radio at low volumes then keeping the factory amp, and figuring out how to send the low pass signal to it from the head unit is probably the most cost effective.

If you want good sound quality and higher volumes then ditch the factory amp and either use the on board amp in the head unit (good option) or put a dedicated amp to power your speakers (best option).

Speaking from experience, replacing those little in dash speakers is a waste of time and money. You'd be much better served getting a better quality set of door speakers that fit the factory location and just taking the in dash speakers out. They are really only good for high frequency and with them pointing at the floor they won't project the sound they are capable of making anywhere in the cab that you will hear benefit from them. The same is said for the rear roof mounted, unless you are in the third row they don't do any good.

In my opinion best option for something that looks clean and will produce good sound is dedicated amp for 4 door speakers, component speakers in each door, dedicated amp for subwoofer and 8-10" sub under front seat or fit in factory location with custom box.

Also remember car audio is one of those things that you get what you're willing to pay for. $119 for a set of 6 speakers seems too good to be true, so my guess is the speakers are pretty poor. A decent set of entry level speakers should run closer to $200 a pair. Stay away from big box stores and on-line deals and go talk to your local stereo shops. I've always found their prices to be competitive and they often have quality brands that you don't find at the bigger stores.

Another speaker question ('94 FZJ): Is that little speaker in the right side cargo area supposed to be a subwoofer? What is that small box mounted next to it?
All my other OEM speakers work fine for me. The one in the rear has dissolved.
Should I simply abandon it?
Yes that was the factory sub. I believe the box was the amplifier for it. If it no longer functions I would disconnect it and remove it.

I got removed the factory subwoofer yesterday and came across this tube zip tied to the harness. Any one know what it’s purpose is?
E2F78EC6-32AC-4D41-AF3E-BAB129432073.jpeg

I believe the plastic tubing is the 2nd tube that is used in applications with the 2 barn doors.
Regarding the subwoofer. If the subwoofer amplifier still works, your exiting speaker has disintegrated, and you don't care about quality audio then the Pyle 6.5" mid-bass woofer PLG64 fits easily in that spot. I think you just need some longer mounting screws. It will set you back $24 (and as others have said, you get what you pay for).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom