97 engine/tranny/tansfer into a 93?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tltaylor22, Jul 25, 2005.

1. tltaylor22

tltaylor22

My 93 is pushing 270K and it's starting to show some age. It's still runs fine and got 17mpg on my last road trip, but the wife is complaining it lack the power it had even 20k ago. A friend came across a wrecked 97 with 70k on it for a lot less than a rebuilt motor and I would have a whole new drivetrain. What's the difference between the 93 and 97 motor wise? Different computers? Any real issues with this swap.

Trent

2. nyk438

nyk438

I think it's the same 1FZ motor don't know of any differences.

3. hatfieldcb

hatfieldcb

4. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Engine is going to be the same basically (minor intake changes), but the transmission is completely different. If you use the whole setup you'll need the ECU from the newer truck for the transmission - I believe you can use the older exhaust though (it was redesigned in '95)....

Tucker

5. Josh83

Josh83

You will have a lot of wiring to swap to keep the OBD2 on the 97, but if you're a confident enough mechanic to consider a swap it shouldn't be a big deal.

6. powderpig

powderpig SILVER Star

If you have the donor truck this is great. But if you only get the engine and tranny/transfer case. You be lacking unless you can then do some electrical expermantion. The engine could run with the wiring harness of the 93, you may be able to patch the 97 tranny to the 93 computer, but it may not work. If you use the 97 computer and wiring harness, you would then need the front and rear O2 sensor system instead of the side by side of the 93. It would be a great project if you wanted to take it on. later robbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.