Builds 97 Desert Dune, just like Dad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I am officially starting this thread however both my daughter and I will contribute significantly over the weeks, months, and years ahead.

Documenting this land cruiser build really starts in may of 2018. I Purchased the vehicle at auction in Atlanta Georgia, it was exact like mine and seeing as how my daughter loved mine and wanted it to be hers I felt this would be the right thing to do. I mean who wouldn’t want a really nice 80 series desert doing Land Cruiser?

It had been in a slight accident, the previous owner appeared to have ran into a fire hydrant near dead center of the front bumper. Transmission lines, radiator, and a few other things suffered injury. The PO decided that he would take out any aftermarket items he added, so there were some things missing and some things that needed to be replaced.

I trailered it home from Atlanta and brought it to my shop. I replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, distributor, battery, battery box, alternator, transmission lines, and a lot of rubber hoses.

I brought it over to Juan and had him finish up bodywork, put on a new valance, and get it painted.

It looked really nice!

I was going through some electrical issues that resulted from a hasty removal of hey stereo system by the previous owner. Everything was going fine and I was nearly ready to give it to her on Christmas Day. Uh... not so fast.

In November I brought it over for the DMV inspection, and on the way home about half a block away from my house the head gasket blew.

With help from the forum, a great parts guy, and some help from @stpetedale I was able to get the head gasket finished up. Of course not without a few bumps in the road like the number 6 fuel injector O-Ring ripping and not knowing until I started it for the first time and smelling gas.

Once I finished the head gasket I completed work on the remaining electrical issues. Then, I ordered up the front leather seats from Lseat.com. I got the seats installed last week, the pioneer stereo with Apple CarPlay installed on Monday. And today it goes through the car wash.

The wife and I are planning to surprise her for Valentine’s Day. We will bring it to her school. I am looking forward to it.

My hope is that she will enjoy the Land Cruiser as much as I do, so far I think she’s on the right track.

Last edited:
More to come.

Last edited:
Awesome, my 7 year old loves the cruiser. Always wants to ride in it to school.

Love the color combo, I'm going to say it's my new favorite. She should be Happy.

Apple Play and a new Driver ? I have it in my DD and it can be distracting

Love the color combo, I'm going to say it's my new favorite. She should be Happy.

Apple Play and a new Driver ? I have it in my DD and it can be distracting
I love the color combo too, and so does she!

I like the Apple Car Play as she can answer a call with 1 click. Our rule is no calls while in motion. Luckily there are apps to track that too :)

Saturday her teenage dream came true. Take the cruiser to go paddle boarding with one of the dogs.

That is just plain awesomeness. Nice job, Dad! Our daughter has our 97 at college and was getting excited about LandCruisers as a little girl. Now I think she'll have a hard time giving the keys back when she graduates in 2020 and I don't blame her one bit. Way cool.

Did it have a salvage title from the accident? Looks great!

That’s demonstrating GREAT parental responsibility! We always put our daughters in safe vehicles while they were young too, and it sure helped me sleep at night! God forbid anything happens, but if it does, she’s in one of the safest vehicles she could be in!
I’m sure she was super stoked to put the paddle board on top, and go for a ride with the poochie!

That is just plain awesomeness. Nice job, Dad! Our daughter has our 97 at college and was getting excited about LandCruisers as a little girl. Now I think she'll have a hard time giving the keys back when she graduates in 2020 and I don't blame her one bit. Way cool.
We take care of our kids don’t we? Mine heads to college next year. Wherever she decides to go I’m sure she’ll enjoy the cruiser. My daughter has no plans on giving keys back unless it’s to me to work on it.

Installed new OEM belts, old ones look great so will keep as a trail spare. AC belt was squeaking originally, it was just loose though. Radiator flush, and oil change. Unfortunately someone ran into her rear bumper (hit & run) at an angle so it needs to go back to bodyshop and get fixed and painted. Really aggravating. Ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom