97 Cruiser annoying whistle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Firstly thanks for all your great info.

I have a 97 80 series auto and it seems to have developed a persistent whistle under acceleration.

I first noticed it when I put my foot down to take off around a left hand corner now it does it all the time at around 2100 rpm to about 3000 rpm under load (when accel.). It does it in all gears but not neutral. It's slightly worse up hills. I can only hear it with te windows down.

I have inspected the exhaust but cannot see any evidence of holes or a leak. Could this be an intake problem or an exhaust problem?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreiated.

verry common, the source is in the muffler, search if you want more discussion

you get used to it I don't notice it anymore. every new passenger coments though.

I get a strong whistle under hard acceleration, which is just induction noise.

Mine does the same thing, got used to the noise after a few months.

LCphil said:
I get a strong whistle under hard acceleration, which is just induction noise.

Drive around with the right cargo side panel removed for a wile you may find different.

cut off the small can on the exhaust that is behind the rear axle...looks like a small muffler...they tend to cause a whistle.

CruisinGA said:
K&N air filters seem to create some intake whistle too...

I have the whistle too... when I first got my 80 I went to my toyota friend and he did an overall check. At that time he said the muffler was going to need replacing.. a few weeks after I started getting the whistle. So I feel its the muffler. Got to save up for the Borla...!

markt said:
cut off the small can on the exhaust that is behind the rear axle...looks like a small muffler...they tend to cause a whistle.

Not so much, in fact, it might get louder.

My theory is the drain hole that Toyota thoughfull and brilliantly puts in the muffler causes the whistle at higher mileages. You can have a whistle, or you can have an American no drain hole muffler that falls off after 5 years.

I am whistle free after replacing the muffler due to pretzled pipes.

some crackheads and pimps pay good money to have whistles welded on their exhaust... we get it for free...! :D

Mine had that at around 150K.
Go back to the tail pipe and see if it rotates.
I had my local trusty mech reweld it to the resonator.
Whistle gone.

Thanks guys. I think I will put up with it if it's not serious.

If it gets really bad I might consider exhaust work. (Or when I finally get around to buying a turbo or SC - :bounce: - dreaming)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom