97 Collector Edition - Burning Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into buying a 97' with close to 300k miles on it. I think the price is fair for the condition of the vehicle. The owner seems very honest and said he's having to put in a quart of oil about every ~1,000 - 1,200 miles. The owner said it's burning it, not leaking it. I'm not going to put that many miles on this vehicle, and so I'm not all that concerned. I'd be surprised if I would drive this more than ~2,500 miles per year. This would not be a primary family vehicle as we would use my wife's newish Highlander for any longer types of trips.

Should I be more concerned than I am? I'm very excited about the prospect of owning an 80 series and I don't want that to cloud good judgment. Thanks in advance for any advice. My first post here, so I'm hoping this is the correct forum. Thanks!

Burning oil at that rate is pretty common. There are several likely culprits, but valve stem seals is probably the most common.

Leaks are also very common, but not the cause of the oil loss.

I agree. Also, (from personal expericence with my 1997 80), a stuck / defective PCV valve can really eat up oil quick. Also, with my rig, changing to a heavier oil really helped with consumption.

My 80 burns about that much, which I chalk up to valve seals. Head gasket was already done when I bought it so I don't care enough to open it up to redo. I feel like every inline 6 I've had consumed about that much anyway, so I'm not too bothered by it. Aside from a puff of smoke at startup, it runs great.

I'm looking into buying a 97' with close to 300k miles on it. I think the price is fair for the condition of the vehicle. The owner seems very honest and said he's having to put in a quart of oil about every ~1,000 - 1,200 miles. The owner said it's burning it, not leaking it. I'm not going to put that many miles on this vehicle, and so I'm not all that concerned. I'd be surprised if I would drive this more than ~2,500 miles per year. This would not be a primary family vehicle as we would use my wife's newish Highlander for any longer types of trips.

Should I be more concerned than I am? I'm very excited about the prospect of owning an 80 series and I don't want that to cloud good judgment. Thanks in advance for any advice. My first post here, so I'm hoping this is the correct forum. Thanks!

There’s a notice somewhere in the owners manual (or full service manual) that the engine will naturally consume oil.

I want to say that it’s something along the lines of 1/2 quart between oil changes.

Not leaking oil..... umm, this is an old FZJ80 we’re talking about right?

Thanks for all the comments. Figured some oil burning was to be expected on a ~300k mileage fzj80. Glad everyone seems to agree.

not much to be worried about ......plan for a HG overhaul at some point... I bought my CE with 178k and just had the HG and misc other while-in-there things done and she's running like a top again......

lockers ? pics ?

E

Need pics! I just finished doing my cylinder head rebuild last month because I was using about the same amount of oil. My truck has 225k. That was a big job but worth it.

Need pics! I just finished doing my cylinder head rebuild last month because I was using about the same amount of oil. My truck has 225k. That was a big job but worth it.

Not comfortable posting pics, yet. The owner hasn't posted this publicly yet that I'm aware of. Hope to see it in person tomorrow. Owner said they would like to get $6.5k. It's been a daily driver with kids for the last several years and so it's in need of some tlc on the interior from what the pictures I've seen. Exterior looks clean.

Not comfortable posting pics, yet. The owner hasn't posted this publicly yet that I'm aware of. Hope to see it in person tomorrow. Owner said they would like to get $6.5k. It's been a daily driver with kids for the last several years and so it's in need of some tlc on the interior from what the pictures I've seen. Exterior looks clean.
Yeah..but does it have lockers? If not, that price I would think is on the high end considering the oil thing and you said it needs TLC for the interior? Probably the same for the whole rig if they can't keep the interior clean. Check the knuckles, etc.

The 80s are pricey these days. You might want to estimate a budget if some major repairs are needed (HG, engine, trans) & compare that to the cost of buying something with less miles. I paid $7500 for mine in 2015. Tripple locked, orig owner, all service records, 178K miles. You can save a fortune if you do the work yourself with the help of fellow mudders. Good luck!

LOL. This is like reading Falfiles.com sometimes.

Regardless here’s the LX450 owners manual on oil consumption.

024EC54A-98F4-4319-A53E-99F56FD23CCD.jpeg

01CA30FB-DBD8-4445-9E08-930575697BB1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom