97 Camry Fuel Door – (NOT MINE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
One of the folks here at work has a 97 Camry. The fuel filler door won’t open. She’s had the car since new and never had an issue with it before.

Anyone got any tips for opening it? I’d be tempted to run out with my pry bar and BFH or pull the new Husky chainsaw out and use that but I think that she’d cry.

Thanks

I think there is a opener inside the trunk panel

swank60 said:
Tell her it's the cars way of letting her know it doesn't want her driving it anymore.
The automotive version of a hunger strike?

PabloCruise said:
It has a remote open via cable, correct?

Nope, does not appear to have one.

When she pulls the door release trigger (by drivers seat) you can hear the mechanism click inside the fuel filler door area, but it doesn't budge.

Pry open with screwdriver?

I think prying open will just break the plastic finger that holds it shut (and that retracts when you pull the handle).

Junk, try pushing IN slightly on the door while you pull the handle. My guess (never worked on a Camry though) is the plastic finger is detached from the pulling mechanism, so the mechanism is retracting but not pulling the plastic finger with it. If that is the problem, only way around it would be to force it open, breaking the plastic finger but hopefully not distorting the door at all (obviously pry right next to where the finger holds it to have the best chance of not screwing more up).

Good Luck...

If it's like the one in the Avalon - the finger set up mark mentioned - you may be able to jimmy it open with a credit card. Kind of like a cheap door lock in a house. Ever done that? It's not that hard, and it could work. I'm just not sure if there's protection around it or not...

swank60 said:
Nothing...surprised?
From you? No. :flipoff2: Thanks for looking though.

Brodis - thanks, will try it. Talked to Cdan while ordering up some more parts and he said the spring was likely snapped.

If you pull back the panel inside the trunk on the fuel door side, I'm pretty sure there is a additional cable/release for the door.

I went out and looked at mine on the Avalon, and there's no way to do the credit card thing. The locking mech is way down in there, and the fuel door flap extendes to about 1.5 to 2" deep, and the "finger" points toward the front of the car - an angle you can't get to easily.

Through the trunk: I took a quick glance, but it'll be a pain to get to. You have to pull all of the trunk lining out, and the fuel door crap is waaaaay back there, behind the trunk hinge supports and some other crap. You'd have to sit in the truck to get comfortable access to it.

Time for your gal-pal to visit the dealer, or buy you a 6 pack of good beer and drop it off some time before she runs out of gas.

Don't pry it open though - the body work cost would be crazy, I'm sure.

Oh, and :flipoff2: :D

informationjunky said:
If you pull back the panel inside the trunk on the fuel door side, I'm pretty sure there is a additional cable/release for the door.
Nope guess again :D

Swank - got it. Apparently some junk like persuassion and a screw driver pushing on the tab gets it open. Thanks for checking.

swank60 said:
Don't pry it open though - the body work cost would be crazy, I'm sure.
Does the locking mechanism actually lock it or is it like a little nub that would allow the door to be opened without damage. Like maybe take dental floss and slide it over the inside of the door and pull?

THis happend to me in my 80. What has happend is the little metal clip that springs it open is gone or is broken. What you have to do is get her to release it from the lever (inside the car) and have another person stand by the tank door with something that will fit in the crack and flick it open...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom