97-97 brakes and rotors and lines and LSPV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it common for lines and hoses to suddenly fail catastrophically?
Catastrophic brake failure is probably best defined by the speedometer reading at which it happens and the obstacles in your way. :doh:

But seriously, a hole in a brake line will allow all that precious DOT3 to drain out, so any failure there has the potential to be catastrophic. It took about 2-3 minutes for my LX470 to completely drain after I ruptured a hard line last year.

What break booster are people running? OEM? $600! Master cylinder $250! LSPV $200!. I get it’s the most important system, just wanted to see if anybody has any good alternatives that have been field tested? Thanks Wes

$375 at 80 Series, NEW OEM Seiken Brake Booster and OEM Gaskets (2), 44610-60792 - https://www.cruiseryard.com/80-series-new-oem-seiken-brake-booster-and-oem-gasket/

You can go down the whole Toyota vs Seiken vs Bosch rabbit hole.

Catastrophic brake failure is probably best defined by the speedometer reading at which it happens and the obstacles in your way. :doh:

But seriously, a hole in a brake line will allow all that precious DOT3 to drain out, so any failure there has the potential to be catastrophic. It took about 2-3 minutes for my LX470 to completely drain after I ruptured a hard line last year.
Yeah but a hard line doesnt just rupture unless something makes it rupture. It has to either have excessive rust from years of being in areas where salt type snow melt is used, a big rock hit it, rubbing on something, or a mechanic didn't secure it properly at some point and it's been strained for a long time. I've seen 80 series cruiser hard line failure when the sway bar bracket on the axle snaps off because of excessive flex of aftermarket lift kits combined with in 93 when Toyota went with a beefier sway bar but didn't upgrade the sway bar brackets. But age and brake usage generally doesn't wear out a line.

Last edited:
LX470 to completely drain after I ruptured a hard line last year.
Your Lx470 has a very different brake system than the 80. I've had to fix a failing/failed 100 series system and it was scary to me.the performance is better than 80 when working well but with the 100 goes....it goes fast and all the brakes go. Ended up having to replace the accumulator and while in there rebuilt the master cylinder. When driving the 80 i know to leave some space, i would hate to have more confidence when the 100 brakes go out.

What break booster are people running? OEM? $600! Master cylinder $250! LSPV $200!. I get it’s the most important system, just wanted to see if anybody has any good alternatives that have been field tested? Thanks Wes

There is a company out of Australia called Performance Diesel Intercoolers, they have a dual diaphragm booster for the 80.

There is a company out of Australia called Performance Diesel Intercoolers, they have a dual diaphragm booster for the 80.
Have you run this or have first hand experience? it’s about $450 that’s not counting tax and shipping. They also suggest a vacuum reservoir.

Have you run this or have first hand experience? it’s about $450 that’s not counting tax and shipping. They also suggest a vacuum reservoir.

I have not but there is a person from Australia that did install it on his 80 and had to notch the seam weld on the firewall due to the size of the booster. Shipped it is $568 to the states per the quote I got. But that changes daily due to the value of our dollar to theirs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom