97 80 series alternator issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I’ve searched all over the forums and looked up videos as I’ve been having trouble trying to put in this denso reman alternator in. Any advice as to how to slide it in? I keep struggling to put in the front side of the alternator as it collides with the piece of “spacer” on the ear itself. Attached are some photos, but I hope someone can help me out as I’ve exhausted myself over two hours.

FC6D5F92-4DEB-4AFC-B79F-E972B9184B4F.jpeg

C0594115-331C-4114-BE9F-5ACB94C549EB.jpeg

I feel I should clear up a bit on the photos as I was typing this over mid frustration. The little washer/spacer on the ear of the insert is colliding with the washer/spacer of the alternator itself, and I’ve tried just about everything to insert in the alternator to no avail. That spacer/washer from the ear of the cruiser seems a little out, but I’m also not sure if it’s supposed to be like that or if I’m just a dunce at putting in the alternator itself. I feel play on the back side of the alternator, but when I adjust, I’m still met with the spacer thing not allowing the alternator to slide in, and have no room for my rubber mallet to help. I should also mention that the bottom bracket where the adjusting bolt goes in kind of feels like a hindrance as I can’t tilt any further, but I again didn’t see anyone do that on the threads I’ve read, which leads me to believe I’m doing something wrong on my end.
Thanks again for anyone taking time to read this and thank you in advance for any info!

Those spacers can get burrs on them. Take a file an smooth out those spacers. Ive had to file down cheap Autozone alternators to get them to fit. They came out of the box with burrs. Go slow with the file, then some sandpaper if needed. You want a nice tight fit though. Good luck. :cheers:

@Swirvinnirvinn it doesn't exactly float freely, but it does move when you tighten things down. Instead of whacking on it, you can use some combination of a bolt, washers, and maybe a socket to press it back in. Here's a random Google images result that might help explain the press method:

bushing-install-no-press.jpg

Last edited:
@gummycarbs that worked perfectly for me and I am eternally grateful! For all who is wondering in the future, I grabbed a spare nut, a thick washer, thick socket, a spare lug nut bolt insert bearing, the same pivot bolt from the alternator and torqued down until the spacer was flush and it worked like a charm! I appreciate everyone’s input and info, and I hope if anyone runs into this gets the info they need! Again thank you all! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom