96FZJ80 batter running at 430cc...need to replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
96FZJ80 battery running at 430cc...need to replace?

I got an oil change at Jiffy Lube and they sure try to upsell all their services (diff fluid changes, coolant change, transmission fluid change, air filter, wiper blades, suv high mileage oil, battery, etc.).

Anyways, they tested my battery and said that it's running at 430cc amps, but it's rated at 640cc amps. I can see some white corrosion on top and the battery is over 5 years old.

So, I'm thinking of replacing it and I went to sears and looked at the Sears DieHard Marine Platinum 34M P2 and the Sears DieHard Automotive Platinum 34 P1.

These batteries looks similar, have the same 880cc amps, 135 minutes of reserve capacity, cost the same $189.99, require a core exchange, and are probably made by Odyssey.

The only difference is the color and the warranty. The automotive is gray and has a 4-Year Free Replacement and a 100-Month Prorated Limited Warranty.

The platinum is blue and has a 3-Year Free Replacement Limited Warranty.

Anyone know for sure if both are made by Odyssey? If these are the same battery, but the warranty reflects the expected use (boat vs car), then it looks like the car one is better for me. Any thoughts?

Edit: I just went on consumerreports.org and the Sears Platinum Automotive 34 is rated the highest of all car batteries with a score of 91. The next 34s were rated 76, 75, 72, etc. The Sears Platinum Automotive 34 is rated best in life, reserve capacity, and cca.

Oh yeah, the one rated a 76 is the Optima RedTop and it's biggest drawback is the reserve capacity gets an average mark with best on life and cca.
DieHardOdysseyBatteries.jpg

Last edited:
Does your current battery perform like it's supposed to? i.e. crank your truck after a cold night, or power accessories (radio, headlights) for a while and still be able to start? If so, then I'd say you're good.

Just FYI, I work for a quick lube (a reputable shop, mind you :flipoff2:), and we get all kinds of horror stories about Jiffy Lube. :meh:

You could replace it for peace of mind, though. I'm about to replace my Aux battery, not because it's dying, but because it's an Optima (you know, the ones that will die on you at any moment).

The corrosion on-top and the fact that it's over 5-years old makes me want to change it soon even though it's working good.

Some mornings I wonder if it takes a few extra turns on the starter to get it going, but I'm not sure if that's the battery or the starter.

Jiffy Lube did a good job checking things over like the lights, turn signals, air filter, diff fluids, battery, wiper blades, trans fluid, brake fluid, etc. However, I was cringing when I saw the guy struggle to put the air filter back on.

I went home and checked all the fluid levels, cleaned the oil mess on the front axle, re-tightened the air filter canister, and made sure that nothing was leaking.

5 years and corrosion? I missed that part... Corrosion can be easily cleaned with water, baking soda, and a terminal cleaner (available at any auto parts store), but the 5-year-old part would worry me.

As far as the air filter goes... I hear ya on that. Whenever we get an 80 in the shop, I'm always telling the hood guy to BE CAREFUL with the air filter and intake tube. :hillbilly:

Thanks for the info on cleaning it. Here's a picture of the 5+year old Energizer Group 34 with a 24-month replacement and an 7-year pro-rata limited warranty. The previous owner purchased it and I've had it for 5 years, so it might be close to the end of its life.

I'm going to buy the Sears DieHard Platinum Automotive 34 P1 just for peace of mind. I'm planning a trip with the family in April and I don't want to worry about the battery.
EnergizerCarBattery2.jpg

To homerscanyonero; I'm just a newb, but would it be worth the time to clean up the battery by cleaning the posts and clamps with a battery post brush thingy, and maybe give it a good charge with a battery charger? Would adding distilled water help, if it is low? I've read about those chargers that can desulfate an old battery; wonder if anyone has experience using one of those?

I have both these batteries in my 80. I bought the automotive battery before I had a winch so when I installed my dual battery setup I moved the automotive to the backup position and bought a Platinum marine battery for my main.

The marine is a deep cell battery and can take being drawn down or killed altogether much better than the regular automotive battery; this is the battery that runs my winch. Usually automotive batteries have much better cranking capacities than marine batteries but the Platinum Marine batteries are rated very high. I cannot tell the difference when cranking my 80.

There may be a difference in lifetime but I don’t know maybe another mudder can chime in on that subject.

Hope this helps:)

P.S. Dual batterys are cool and now would be the perfect time to do this on your rig. Buy a new battery and use it as backup untill the old one is all used up then you move this battery to the main and put the next new in backup. This way your backup is always going to be your best battery for self rescue and you can run the old one into the ground without worrying about getting stuck.

UPDATE: I just looked at the Odyssey site and it apears that there is no internal difference between the marine and automotive batterys but Sears will replace the auto battery for 4 years but only 3 for the marine. If you do not need the extra terminal buy the group 65 auto battery it fits fine and is a better battery than the group 34.

Last edited:
I got an oil change at Jiffy Lube and they sure try to upsell all their services (diff fluid changes, coolant change, transmission fluid change, air filter, wiper blades, suv high mileage oil, battery, etc.).

Anyways, they tested my battery and said that it's running at 430cc amps, but it's rated at 640cc amps. I can see some white corrosion on top and the battery is over 5 years old.

So, I'm thinking of replacing it and I went to sears and looked at the Sears DieHard Marine Platinum 34M P2 and the Sears DieHard Automotive Platinum 34 P1.

These batteries looks similar, have the same 880cc amps, 135 minutes of reserve capacity, cost the same $189.99, require a core exchange, and are probably made by Odyssey.

The only difference is the color and the warranty. The automotive is gray and has a 4-Year Free Replacement and a 100-Month Prorated Limited Warranty.

The platinum is blue and has a 3-Year Free Replacement Limited Warranty.

Anyone know for sure if both are made by Odyssey? If these are the same battery, but the warranty reflects the expected use (boat vs car), then it looks like the car one is better for me. Any thoughts?

Edit: I just went on consumerreports.org and the Sears Platinum Automotive 34 is rated the highest of all car batteries with a score of 91. The next 34s were rated 76, 75, 72, etc. The Sears Platinum Automotive 34 is rated best in life, reserve capacity, and cca.

Oh yeah, the one rated a 76 is the Optima RedTop and it's biggest drawback is the reserve capacity gets an average mark with best on life and cca.

I would bet the farm that there are no internal differences between the Sears DieHard Marine Platinum 34M P2 and the Sears DieHard Automotive Platinum 34 P1.

Thanks for the info on cleaning it. Here's a picture of the 5+year old Energizer Group 34 with a 24-month replacement and an 7-year pro-rata limited warranty. The previous owner purchased it and I've had it for 5 years, so it might be close to the end of its life.

I'm going to buy the Sears DieHard Platinum Automotive 34 P1 just for peace of mind. I'm planning a trip with the family in April and I don't want to worry about the battery.

That thing looks nasty.

Nasty? Oh, man...I didn't think it was that bad, so I'm trying to get my $10 online coupon to buy the sears diehard platinum automotive 34 battery.

I guess the new battery and my new parts order from cdan is going to be my stimulus contribution to the economy.

I'm not getting the dual setup just yet, since I got no winch and no fog lights.

I do not know about California but here in Washington there is a recycle fee for auto batterys but not for marine.

The $189.99 price at sears for the automotive one requires a core exchange, so you gotta leave your old one behind or it's $10 more.

I think this is the $10 recycling fee.

UPDATE: I just looked at the Odyssey site and it apears that there is no internal difference between the marine and automotive batterys. Sears will replace the auto battery for 4 years but only 3 for the marine. If you do not need the extra terminal buy the group 65 auto battery it fits fine and is a better battery than the group 34. 930CCA !!!!!

The Group 65 does sound like a better battery based on the 930 cca's compared to the 880 cca's for the Group 34.

Also, both batteries require that you stretch the existing battery cables or buy longer ones. These batteries have the posts in the front whereas the cruiser wants the posts in the rear.

Sears does not sell reverse posts on these batteries. They had the Group 35 Sears DieHard Platinum with the posts in the right location for the cruiser, but this battery has 770 ccas. They wanted to install this one, but I told them I rather try to extend the cables and get the Group 65 at 930 cca's for the same price and warranty.

Extending the battery cables seems like a good idea, so it's easier to replace it next time with whatever group tickles my fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom