1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 TLC would not start

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by floydturbo, Aug 27, 2006.

1. floydturbo

floydturbo

I noticed this morning that it took about 1 second later than normal to catch and start. The battery is new and turns over quickly. Then this afternoon it cranked and cranked and would not start. I opened the hood and looked around and did not see anything. Then it started next time.

Do these engines have a crank position sensor or something like that that needs adjusting?

Where to look???? Common problems?????

Thanks

2. syrinxstar

syrinxstar

Have you replaced your starter contacts?

3. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

...and don't forget the plunger...

4. CJF

CJF

Hmm...

Unless I'm reading it wrong, he's saying the engine is cranking (turning over).

How would this be anything to do with the starter or its parts?

Curtis

5. floydturbo

floydturbo

has not happened again, suspect relays

It has not happened again. I pulled the ECU relay and ECU fuse and reset them. Where is the fuel pump relay, I did not see a relay box on the firewall as shown in the FSM pdf files? I am guessing at this point it was one of the relays. It was quite hot at the time.

6. floydturbo

floydturbo

Solved, fusible link bad connectors

I finally solved my intermittent no start condition. I determined the no start would occur when the fuel pump was not running so I suspected a worn out pump with 225k miles. I found that the fusible link may have been replaced in the past and put together with crimp on connectors. One of the connectors was loose and had corrosion, this fixed the problem.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">