96 no.3 water bypass nipple and radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Hello folks.

Whilst replacing my main crank seal i broke the no.3 bypass nipple on a perfectly working radiator, having done blue fan clutch mod and PHH, temp is perfect (rarely goes above 185) - but now this very irritating error by me! I had a few questions on this for the community:-

1. I dont know if my rad is aftermarket. It has plastic tank, but i cant see any toyota markings on it. Does the OEM have any ID on it?

2. Have seen repairs on here for nipple replacement with brass, etc. anyone tried this long term? Curious on whether it is actually stronger then the stupid plastic one that snaps easily

3. Recommendations for a new radiator?there is a range from $100-900. This isnt my DD, and i have seen all metal for less than 400 (CSF), but this is still too much. Anyone have experience with the other aftermarkets, those with a few years on them. Any links would be awesome.

4. Are there radiator places that can do a pro repair on that nipple, using plastic welding etc? Thought it would be cool to have something repaired and stronger than the original. I never been to a rad place, so unaware of their capabilities

Thanks all. One day i will stop learning and begin contributing on here! Still a noob.

All my opinions.
1. My factory toyota radiator is plastic. Ordered it last summer after i broke my nipple installing belts on my truck after taking the old one out and having it cleaned.
2. I might consider doing a repair if i never dove the truck far but no way i would do this if i took long trips.
3. i have used one before off of amazon but spent the extra 100 or so it took to go Toyota last time.
4. I again wouldn't trust the repair but I am sure its just a matter of time before someone uses this thread to push their products for sale.

All my opinions.
1. My factory toyota radiator is plastic. Ordered it last summer after i broke my nipple installing belts on my truck after taking the old one out and having it cleaned.
2. I might consider doing a repair if i never dove the truck far but no way i would do this if i took long trips.
3. i have used one before off of amazon but spent the extra 100 or so it took to go Toyota last time.
4. I again wouldn't trust the repair but I am sure its just a matter of time before someone uses this thread to push their products for sale.

Thanks REK

A new radiator it is! Just need to figure out OEM or other

It can be plastic welded (or expoxied) THEN .....get a small length of 1" wide aluminum (Home Supply Store) and make yourself a 'hat section' to fit over it...so you don't do this again. Just pop a couple of holes in your fan shroud and bolt it on or use pop rivets. 15 minute job.

My radiator is all metal....but when I had a plastic one, I was wary of that nipple as well and took measures to avoid snapping it off.

Hat3.jpg

Hat2.jpg

Hat1.jpg

Great idea, its on the list

Someone here actually makes a 3D printed guard for the nipple. I think they refer to it as "nipple guard", so you can search for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom