96 LX450 with Timing Chain Gasket Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just received my vehicle from a great IH8MUD member from Washington and I am looking to do some baselining before getting it on the road. Vehicle is currently leaking oil from timing chain cover and while I am fixing this I was wondering what other maintenance and gaskets you guys recommend changing. Part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Also wondering where or who you guys recommend ordering parts from?

Just received my vehicle from a great IH8MUD member from Washington and I am looking to do some baselining before getting it on the road. Vehicle is currently leaking oil from timing chain cover and while I am fixing this I was wondering what other maintenance and gaskets you guys recommend changing. Part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Also wondering where or who you guys recommend ordering parts from?
Are you SURE this is the timing chain cover or is it the Oil Pump Seal? These are VERY different levels of involvement. Provide pics of the problem area?

So I got the engine cleaned off and drove it about 5 miles and these are the pics I took. What do you guys think?

D9512D15-27D1-4017-8721-8AA31C60CA38.jpeg

5EA5C20F-07E6-4113-BDC1-383034ED9C3F.jpeg

AD579D7A-B748-4A42-9E00-CC76FCB5A7C6.jpeg

E332885F-D4B5-41A6-B20D-40856C5B369D.jpeg

Here is a picture of same area cleaned before running.

View attachment 2256234
Pretty sure that's the oil pump seal. Very common maintenance item on these.

If a mechanic is telling you it's the timing chain cover, find a different mechanic. Seriously, because that means he does not know these trucks.

I don't know where League City is, but you should search for a LC mechanic nearby.

We can help here.

You could also do this yourself.... Yes, it's possible.

While the Oil Pump Cover seal is more common, the timing cover can leak. There have been a few instances on here of it. There's an o-ring that seals the passage from the oil pump to the block where the timing cover mates to the block. These can leak over time as well. So yes the pump cover is way more common but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that it’s the where this oil seal is in the timing cover.

It’s difficult to see as the alternator kind of blocks it. When it leaks it flows down from there and then on top of the pump cover which makes one think it’s the pump cover at first glance too.

Here’s a pic that shows where that is.

678D008A-B036-43E2-AEF4-838E24F7CA58.jpeg

1F1C7F8C-11B1-4E27-A712-71F568A62489.jpeg

So I got underneath it this morning and after running it for about 10 minutes i could see it bubbling out of right here. What other gaskets would you recommend replacing while I'm
20AF1F4C-3C18-4EFF-A9DB-91AAEE7ED410.jpeg
in there.

Appears to be coming from between the block and the timing cover;
the original factory FIPG (form in place gasket) has failed at that point (there's no gasket to replace).

For a quick fix you could try cleaning that area off very well
with some solvent then slather multiple layers of FIPG over it.
Wait for the FIPG to start to cure and put another layer over the first, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I had the leak mentioned by TN Ovelander above (different that the OP's leak). Cleaned that area very well using spray solvents then slathered multiple layers of FIPG over it (Permatex Ultra Grey what I had on hand), no leaks since.

Last edited:
To truly do the timing chain cover seal, it can be done without removing the head, but it is NOT easy. There are a couple threads on here detailing the job. I would try @Kernal suggestion before I went to that level. Otherwise, it's a pull the head and rebuild the top end job.

If you have documentation proving the head gasket has been replaced in it's lifetime, then you may want to try to do just the cover. Otherwise, it's a matter of when on the HG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom