96 LX450 Roof Rack Mounting Bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
Pretty much stock 96 LX450 with factory roof rack, I prefer keep it that way. I don't have major plan for freight carrier or RTT, but am thinking to build a few cross bar with 8020 for the recover board and potential solar panel. Looking for tall rain gutter mount bracket. Found the smittybuilt or warrior 10835. i know the smittybuilt can go to 6" tall. Will these work for 80's without removing the factory roof rack.

Last edited:
The Yakima A1 gutter mounts are pretty darn tough. I bought mine used over a decade ago and have abused them on a bunch of terrible trails. They work just like new. I think they also make a tall version, I think. That would just get you round bars, so you'll have to decide it that's a good base for you to start with.

Yakima is a great solution as they can also be locked.

Yakima 1A
Rack.jpg

I run the Yakima towers on a homemade rack. Pretty easy to remove the round bar clamp which leaves a flat surface. You could then add a spacer to raise your 8020 to your specific height. They are made of plastic though and I did crack three of my six mounts on a wheeling trip once. Had to finish the Rubicon with my rack held together with duct tape.
Gamiviti is a vendor here on Mud and makes heavy duty mounts that were designed specifically for the taller roofs of Land Cruisers. He's got several height and angle options available. Not cheap, but if I were building a DIY rack again I'd probably go this route.

Rain Gutter Towers — Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/rain-gutter-towers

Pretty much stock 96 LX450 with factory roof rack, I prefer keep it that way. I don't have major plan for freight carrier or RTT, but am thinking to build a few cross bar with 8020 for the recover board and potential solar panel. Looking for tall rain gutter mount bracket. Found the smittybuilt or warrior 10835. i know the smittybuilt can go to 6" tall. Will these work for 80's without removing the factory roof rack.
One thing you should keep in mind is the age our Land Cruisers are getting - 20 yrs+. Your "factory roof rack" is attached through holes drilled in the sheet metal and the weather stripping used has probably reached it's end of life and if it hasn't already, will be leaking in the near future. If the rack is used and been stressed, will even make more of a chance to leak sooner. I've read plenty of complaints here on mud through the years and many have removed and resealed their roofs. As far as a load bearing roof rack, I'd go with a Bowfin or Prinsu. The Yakima and Thule type gutter mounts and bars work for entry level racks, but are not near as strong and with off road beating use and vibration, strength is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom