1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'96 Locked 80 w/ 145K for $9K?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LoveTractor, Jul 8, 2005.

1. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. White that will need to be de-blinged. I ran the whole battery of questions past him regarding the DIFF LOCK switch this time. It does have them(or so he says :doh: ). From the pics, there seems to be a woofer in the back with an amp thingie which leads me to think it hasn't been offroad much. Too bold of an assumption? This'll be my first 80 that I really test drive and I'd like to know if ya'll think $9k for 145K miles sounds about right. Thanks in advance.

2. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

assumptions are the mother of all ****ups.

3. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah. I learned that here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50560 :mad:
    When you assume, you make an A$$ out of U and ME.

Anyone wanna run the VIN# for me? :D
    JT3HJ85J1T0119314

4. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

5. Junk

Junk

who gives a **** if it's been offroad - thats what they were made for :doh:

if it's in good shape then buy it

6. dealmaker

dealmaker

make sure you CarFax it. I saw a '96 white that needed de-blinging w/145 on the clock here in the Los Angeles area, $10K two months ago. Pretty much every statement that owner made was contradicted by Carfax. I passed on the deal. There is a thread about that somewhere around here.

7. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Just ran a CarFax. Clean except for a few auctions and at the dealers a few times. It's been sold through auto auctions 3 times..should I be worried? Or is this typical of a leased car?
    1 @ 44,400 miles
    2 @ 84,000
    3 @ 127,000

Here. Any comments? This was it.

Aw, heck. I guess I can just post a direct link without copy/pasting:
    http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=CFX000009503208

8. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Run Forest, Run!!!!

9. swank60

swank60

Auction can also mean a repo'd car, which can mean an abused car.

Look very closely at the interior - like around the shifter, etc. Look for crap/crud in the cracks and where things fit together. The rest of it may be clean, but the hard to clean places that get overlooked at a detailer tell the real tale of the vehicle's past. If the cracks etc. are filthy looking, it's been abused and a quicky detail is a coverup. Same with the engine bay. Look for the areas that a pressure washer can't hit easily and you'll see what the vehicle has really been through.

10. swank60

swank60

Oh, and I passed on a 4runner a while back that was sold at auction right before I picked up the better-half's Avalon.

Auction also means that, for whatever reason, the vehicle wouldn't sell, and the dealer took it to auction to unload it. Odd that it's seen auction 3 times. Wonder what was so undesirable about it when it was that new?

Ask the current owner where he bought it - find out if it was a tote-the-note dealer or the like. That'll give you a barometer, too.

11. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    It's at a dealer right now. :doh:
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...h&advanced=&start_year=1993&isp=y&cardist=167
    Would this guy be considered a tote-the-note dealer? (Good word.)

12. firetruck41

firetruck41

A lot of cars that are traded in at new car dealers go to auction if they have more than 60-80k miles, doesn't neccessarily mean anything bad. The auction at 44k makes you wonder though.

13. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, she's mine!!! Got up to Charlotte and saw the truck. All the seats were a little cracked and worn. Got the keys and cranked her up. She sounded great. Tried everything. All controls worked except the passenger side seat which you could hear trying to move back and forth but wasn't movin'. I can fix that. It even had an XM antenna, but no XM deck so I can put one in later.
    Took her for a test spin and it was nice. Found a gravel lot and kicked her into Low easy. Turned the Diff Lock to RR and crept up a bit. Went in circles and sounded like they were working fine BUT the indicator light kept blinking. So I kicked it up to RR-FR and that indicator stopped blinking but I could tell they were working. I even turned it back to RR and let my girlfriend drive while I stood there as she drove circles around me. They worked...but that damned RR indicator was still blinking. I can fix that. Got back to the dealership and popped the hood and looked under her. Some leakage from what seems to be the front main, but I didn't get a good enough look. I hear that can happen though.
    So the price on Autotrader says $10K, but the guy said he'd part with it for $9k. I said I'd take it for $8K coonsidering all the stuff I pointed out(worn interior, DIFF LOCK indicator, engine leak...). He countered $8.7. I said $8.2. 8.6. 8.3. 8.5. I got the truck for $8,400(plus $300 tax) BUT THE KICKER: he couldn't verify a check on a Sat.. So we arranged for a $500 cash deposit and he'll bring me the truck in a week and we close the deal here in Charleston.
    So I'm now the proud owner of a locked 80. WHOOOHOOOO! :cheers: :bounce2: :D Pics to come.

14. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

How about you call up and
    :)

15. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I was sort of skeptical too. Wolfgang was great though. Not your "typical" used car dealer. He immediately knew that I knew Cruisers and didn't sleeze like some others I've met. He's German (imagine that! :) ) who's lived in the states for 30 years. His partner was American who'd lived in Germany for twenty years. Both great guys actually. Chatted a bit about the places I'd been in Germany. Even asked my girlfriend how she was since I'd e-mailed about her accident last week(hit from behind at a stoplight by a guy going 50. She's fine. The Dodge Stratus was totalled...but held up nicely :) ) and my inability to make it up there sooner. I guess you'd definitely have to consider him a tote-the-note dealer. But I think it went well.
    AND I found my 62 got 17.1 mpg. I used mile markers to calculate(not odo b/c of 32in. tires) and considering the huge hole in the muffler and that the CE light came on during the trek home(been acting up since a Seafoam last week), I was amazed. Maybe I really don't need to restore it like I want to. :D

16. mooker82

mooker82

Congrats man. We will have to get together when you get it down in Charleston and do some wheeling. We can see if you can knock off a rear flare like I just did.

17. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Hear hear. I've been meaning to check out Francis Marion forest. Told the guys in the upstate club I'd check it out. Probably nuthin' to grin about, but an adventure.
    You lose your flare on a sand dune or somethin'? :flipoff2: I think that'd be the closest thing to an incline here. :D

18. mooker82

mooker82

Lost the flare going up the side of a creek bed. The truck kind of slid sideways into a ledge as I was climbing out and the thing just popped right off without too hard of a hit. I was kind of surprised to see it hanging off. A little epoxy and it was as good as new though. Francis Marion forest is not bad if you like mud. I still like the power lines over in James Island but I hear they have been really cracking down on trespassing out there lately.

19. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
  20. brian

brian SILVER Star

sounds alot better than the blinged white, un-locked, 95 with over abuck and quarter, for $14,000 that i stoped to look at. yeah, no thanks.....
    suprisingly enough the *other* 4-5 people that were "looking" at it also passed. it's been there a month or so now.....