'96 LC right rear blinker out - tried Hopkins (Hoppy) what next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@blkprj80 is recommending eliminating the Hoppy to see if the lights work without it connected.

In the picture below, disconnect 1 and 2 and then disconnect 3 and 4. You will then be able to connect 1 and 4 and that will put the wiring back to stock and take the Hoppy out of the circuit.

1676739241750.png

I would recommend removing the old Hoppy completely. It could be part of the problem if it is still connected somewhere.

Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it? How have you concluded the section of harness you are trying to replace is the problem?

Does the right front blinker flash? Does the light on the dash flash?

Have you checked grounds BG and EA? Do you know what this means?

@blkprj80 is recommending eliminating the Hoppy to see if the lights work without it connected.

In the picture below, disconnect 1 and 2 and then disconnect 3 and 4. You will then be able to connect 1 and 4 and that will put the wiring back to stock and take the Hoppy out of the circuit.

View attachment 3251478

I would recommend removing the old Hoppy completely. It could be part of the problem if it is still connected somewhere.

Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it? How have you concluded the section of harness you are trying to replace is the problem?

Does the right front blinker flash? Does the light on the dash flash?

Have you checked grounds BG and EA? Do you know what this means?
I have to laugh - I don't know what I am doing - seriously - ha ha ha - thanks I needed a good laugh :))))).
There is no power to the right rear blinker socket only. The bulb is not an issue. LOL BG means black/green, and EA means "eat ants." -??? right???
BTW I will try rehooking up the new hoppy as you suggest.
Also, yes, right front blinker works. Dash light for that flashes quickly. All other lights/blinkers work except for that rear passenger side blinker. Bulbs are good since they work in other lights, for example the front blinker.
I have a multimeter. I do not know how to use it except that you attach the black and red leads to the meter and I know I should just bite the bullet and read the instructions :)
I bought the new hoppy because it has been stated here that the old hoppy could be the problem. I also got a new taillight from Thailand of all places but it only has one set of wires coming off of it. My original harness from the light has that split into two different connectors, so I don't know if I can use the new taillight, but I will try that, too.
Thank you so much for trying to help - I am much better at house wiring :)

If there are any leftovers from the old Hopkins (not Hoppy) harness, I would trace the wires and pull everything.

I found a video of how the Hopkins is hooked up which may help. I would disconnect the new Hopkins and put it all back to stock just to eliminate the trailer harness as the problem.

If the new harness isn't identical to the old one then it likely won't work. Someone with skills might be able to modify it to work.

EA and BG are the ground connections for the turn signals. EA for the front and BG for the rear. You can see them on the diagram I posted earlier. BG is for left and right rear so if the left is working this probably isn't the problem, but worth checking. It is located outside the truck right where the spare tire hits the rear cross member.

Pictures will always help us help you.

1676742421413.png

OK, I looked at this a little more and the easiest thing to do might be to check for power and ground at connector R9. This is the connector that plugs into the tail light harness, what I have marked as 1 in the picture I posted.

The diagram shows pin 5 going to ground (BG, wire color white with black stripe)) and pin 2 (green with yellow stripe) getting power.

1676743578982.png

The R9 connector looks like this:

1676743619549.png

If you turn the turn signal on you can check for 12V at this connector. Set your meter to 12V and connect the black lead to pin 5 and the red lead to pin 2. You should see around 12V "flashing", meaning it will be going from zero to 12V.

If this works then the problem is in the short harness going to the tail lights or the Hopkins trailers harness.

I have to laugh - I don't know what I am doing - seriously - ha ha ha - thanks I needed a good laugh :))))).
There is no power to the right rear blinker socket only. The bulb is not an issue. LOL BG means black/green, and EA means "eat ants." -??? right???
Also, yes, right front blinker works. Dash light for that flashes quickly. All other lights/blinkers work except for that rear passenger side blinker. Bulbs are good since they work in other lights, for example the front blinker.
I have a multimeter. I do not know how to use it except that you attach the black and red leads to the meter and I know I should just bite the bullet and read the instructions :)
I bought the new hoppy because it has been stated here that the old hoppy could be the problem. I also got a new taillight from Thailand of all places but it only has one set of wires coming off of it. My original harness from the light has that split into two different connectors, so I don't know if I can use the new taillight, but I will try that, too.
Just want to make sure you know that I REALLY don't know what I am doing with this, and I had just been thinking THAT same thing! LLLLOL - never had to look at wiring before. Email kinda sucks like that - in person or on the phone for voice intonations are better.
I am going to do the same fix on the driver's side where it splits on that side, too, and put those two originals back together. Could this cause a fire? Yes I am laughing again and OK I had a hit or two. Legal now in VA yippee!

Last edited:
If there are any leftovers from the old Hopkins (not Hoppy) harness, I would trace the wires and pull everything.

I found a video of how the Hopkins is hooked up which may help. I would disconnect the new Hopkins and put it all back to stock just to eliminate the trailer harness as the problem.

If the new harness isn't identical to the old one then it likely won't work. Someone with skills might be able to modify it to work.

EA and BG are the ground connections for the turn signals. EA for the front and BG for the rear. You can see them on the diagram I posted earlier. BG is for left and right rear so if the left is working this probably isn't the problem, but worth checking. It is located outside the truck right where the spare tire hits the rear cross member.

Pictures will always help us help you.

View attachment 3251508

Thank you so much. The Hopkins is a new replacement to an old trailer etc. wiring that might be the culprit Right Now I don't have anybody to help see what is going on with the lights in back. I guess that I am just thinking about the hoppy/Hopkins electrical round-about - driver's side to passenger's side along the [original] green wire OR the [Hopkins] yellow wire under the rear carpet along the rear hatch. I am thinking that both sides should be replugged into their original mates. which would remove the green/yellow ground, and cut off the hoppy - any thoughts? I have someone who is a friend who could help but he is having a hard time right now..... Finally, is it correct for the new tail light to have only one connector, and should I just try to plug that new tail light in where it fits?
Thanks to you for your help :)

Last edited:
Why did you get a new harness from Thailand? Did you not order from a suggested place like McGeorge Toyota in VA? Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online - https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/

One thing you'll find out about these trucks: They don't like "cheap parts". They like OEM on most things or you'll be fixing and replacing more often.

Get an OWEM harness for your year truck and it should match.

If you don't know how to find it, you can also go to www.partsouq.com plug in your VIN and then search the body electrical and get the correct part number. Then take that P/N to McGeorge site and order from there.

Don't order from eBay or Craigns List until you know what you're looking for or you'll end up pissing away money on stuff that doesn't work.
Buy once, cry once.

Thank you so much. The Hopkins is a new replacement to an old trailer etc. wiring that might be the culprit Right Now I don't have anybody to help see what is going on with the lights in back. I guess that I am just thinking about the hoppy/Hopkins electrical round-about - driver's side to passenger's side along the [original] green wire OR the [Hopkins] yellow wire under the rear carpet along the rear hatch. I am thinking that both sides should be replugged into their original mates. which would remove the green/yellow ground, and cut off the hoppy - any thoughts? I have someone who is a friend who could help but he is having a hard time right now..... Finally, is it correct for the new tail light to have only one connector, and should I just try to plug that new tail light in where it fits?
Thanks to you for your help :)
If this was my truck I would completely remove the old Hopkins trailer harness.

I would then verify power as I outlined in post 24.

Assuming I had power I would then connect the original connectors (1 to 4 from my previous picture) and see if the light flashes.

If the light still isn't flashing, then the problem is with the two wires (black/white and green/yellow) going to the bulb socket. You could replace the harness as @BILT4ME outlines or you could repair what you have. I'm almost certain you could repair what you have but new may be best.

Maybe post a couple pictures of the bulb socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom