96 LC Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a Toyota Dealer check out an LC for me that is out of state. He came up with a list of issues with it and I wondered if anyone had any comments or ballpark costs on the possible repairs. I realize this is blind, but I'm trying to figure out if I should call the seller (used car dealer) back and negotiate or call the whole thing off. It's a 96 LC Locked with 129,000 miles. It seems VERY clean from the pics AND it doesn't have a roof rack or a wind deflector which is a bonus to me. He's asking $12,000 for it.
1. AC is not working and has condensor leaks
2. Coolant is dirty and a bit low (not sure how low)
3. Rear crank seal has a slight leak
4. Probably needs rear brake pads and maybe rotors
5. Right rear ebrake pivot is frozen
6. Spare is flat
7. All engine belts need replacing (fan, alt, etc...)

Any insight appreciated

If all that was fixed I still would only pay 10k max

fzj80kidpen said:
If all that was fixed I still would only pay 10k max

Same here. Even then (unless a birf. repack can be verified), you'll likely need to do some front axle servicing and change ALL fluids in the vehicle.

I have a line on a 95 with lockers and cloth interior with less tha 100k on it in Peobody. You could get that one for 10,900 easily. I did a quick look see and it had a real nice interior but I never drove it. Let me know if you want more info. I mightg even be able to take a better look at it this weekend if you want.

Other than the A/C leak, it sounds like most Cruisers you will find that have been owned by non-ethusiasts. A/C might be expensive to fix, rear crank seal could be expensive if that's what it is and you care to have it fixed, as long as the coolant leak isn't a HG leak, it will need a good flush/fill.

Thanks for the input so far.
I'm leaning towards calling it off, but any more comments are welcome.

Landtank:
Thanks for the info and offer.
I'd really prefer in leather interior rather than cloth
as I have 2 little kids and being a 1 vehicle family, I'm looking for this truck to be the "do it all" LC. daily driver, beachcomber, offroader and commuter.

There is a local LX450 for $8900 that I'll see this weekend, but it's not locked and even if I never use them, I'd prefer to have them.
Only a few months on this list and already led down the primrose path!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom