1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 LC--Loud Steering Squeak

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TLCgrappler, Jan 27, 2004.

1. TLCgrappler

TLCgrappler

Greetings

I have a 96 LC that, in the cool winter of the NE , has begun to squeak (or squeal, depending on your opinion) when the steering wheel is turned rapidly to one side, as in parking situations. Doesnt happen on the highway since the steering movement is not as long.

It sounds like there is a need for lubricant somewhere in the column, but it does not to me seem to be a PS-type "belt screetch". I think I can feel this coming through the column. I don't see anywhere in my service manual that gives me a clue. So, in fact, I am clueless. (again).

Any ideas on what the deal is?? I have almost 100K miles on it.

Thanks to all

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

there was a similar post a while back and some where convinced it was the contacts in the wheel. I'd try a search but wouldn't know where to start. I know IdahoDoug was one of the preople who suggested that item.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Doug was refering to the horn contact pin that is used thru 94. The 95-up airbag equipped vehicles use a spiral cable or clockspring to complete the circuits to the airbag, horn and cruise functions. Those can sometimes be noisy, there is no way to lubricate them. Replacement would be necessary to cure a noisy one. I would not recommend a novice attempt this repair since it requires cracking into the SRS system.
    The spiral cable is available as a separate item or in a combination switch. Oddly enough it is cheaper to buy a combination switch as opposed to a spiral cable. The combination switch, 84310-6A261, lists for $206.87 and a spiral cable alone, 84306-33020, lists for $222.61. :rolleyes: