'96 LC Load Sensing Proportioning - repair/replacement help needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - Replacing brakes from load sensing spring back. Some parts are looking a bit different. Service manual diagram is the last pic.

The 1st pic is of the load sensing boot. The original is completely rusted and had a bolt going through it. In the new configuration doesn't seem that will work. The collar will be hanging in the breeze. I was thinking of putting the ring washers against the boot and then the plate washers on either side with a bolt/lock nut. Will that work?
2nd pic is the Shackle #1. Do I have this one set up right? Has the ring washers against the boot, then I was going to put the shackle over those and bolt/locknut to hold it together.
Next 3rd pic is Shackle #2. Assuming I can reuse the bracket (not available anymore) and assuming the bolt is captured in the bracket, can I drill out the captured bolt (looks too big to fit through the collar in Shackle #2), use the plate washer on the opposite side, and then use an appropriately sized bolt/locknut to hold it together? Also, the diagram calls for a "cushion retainer" on the other side of the Shackle - any ideas what that is? Is it really necessary to have a cotter pin to hold this one on?
Thanks for any help - even an "I don't know" is appreciated :):)

Load sensing boot.jpg

Shackle 1 and 2 and bracket.jpg

Shackle 2.jpg

load sensing diagram manual.jpg

Last edited:
Alot of people just cut the Rod zip tie it up fully.

I can send this to you. Just removed it from my rust free 1993. PM me if you are interested.

is this to put more braking to the rear brakes?

Yes. You can also do a more "permanent" solution by using some hardware. I made a Z bracket and used a spherical ball tie rod end. It is technically adjustable but I have it at the max "up" position. Got the idea from other members here.

20181209_115635-jpg.1850537

Thread Hijack...
I can send this to you. Just removed it from my rust free 1993.
Way to rub in your West Coast rust free rigs. Bastids! :bang: :).

Hijack over...

Yes. You can also do a more "permanent" solution by using some hardware. I made a Z bracket and used a spherical ball tie rod end. It is technically adjustable but I have it at the max "up" position. Got the idea from other members here.

20181209_115635-jpg.1850537
based on the air bags in the springs is it because you are towing heavy with it?

Nope, no towing. Just variable weight... Wife and I dry camp for a couple weeks in Mexico a few times a year pretty far from gas stations or water, so we load the cruiser up with too much crap.

As I stated in several threads, just toss it and put in a union. My brakes are consistent and strong everytime I use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom